Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,278 Posts
If it was a heart attack, they'll figure it out the usual way (EKG changes, troponins, and CKMB). If it was a heart attack from an EPO related clot, they'll figure it out, too.

Right now, all we know is that he went down and they suspect one. Assumptions beyond that are just assumptions.

·
Registered
715 Posts
It's apparently a recurrence of a problem he suffered earlier in the year, and is more likely to be some form of arrythmia, like SVT or fast AF than a 'heart attack'.

But don't let me spoil the doping allegations party...

·
Registered
12,278 Posts
olr1 said:
It's apparently a recurrence of a problem he suffered earlier in the year, and is more likely to be some form of arrythmia, like SVT or fast AF than a 'heart attack'.

But don't let me spoil the doping allegations party...
I recall hearing of a rider with some form of arrythmia, but couldn't find it on Cyclingnews, although I found about 10 pages of acticles regarding Kim Kirchen, which weren't particuarly pertinent to this.

·
Registered
12,278 Posts
tbgtbg said:
Ummm, I agree with everything above, but congenital?? Aren't these guys checked out thoroughly for such things??? perhaps just pointing to the more obvious...
We have a few pros here and a team doctor, but I almost doubt that they're completely checked from head to toe. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, but to run full medical diagnostics on a full squad would be a bit excessive, especially since they're generally pretty healthy individuals as a whole.

·
AKA Old Man
598 Posts
Lay off the accusations please... Not one of you know for sure, and stranger things helth wise has happened to elite athletes. In fact, a local long distance runner, early 40's, was in top condition, never had a major health issue, suddenly died of an heart attack. It was out of the blue, no history etc. etc...

I know you all love a scandal, but really...

·
Dr. Flats a lot
742 Posts
Pro continental and pro tour riders are required to have stress tests and echocardiograms on alternating years. This was meant on part to assure that there are not riders out there with congenital defects compromising their ability to safely compete. These are nowhere near 100% accurate, but they are a step in the right direction.
There have been quite a number of cardiac arrests in pro cyclist that seem to defy what one would expect from normal physiology. It would also be very unusual for a myocardial infarct to occur during rest. You'd expect that to occur when the heart is being stressed, ie. during the event. It is certainly reminiscent of Frederiek Nolf who died last year at Qatar.
I think all you can say is that he collapsed and we don't know why. The latest I read was that they have ruled out an infarct or thrombosis (no MI or stroke). Obviously regardless of the circumstances we all feel for him and wish him a safe recovery.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
I'll preface this by saying it wouldn't surprise me if it was doping given the history of the sport.

Now, with that said...

A local racer passed away last week at the age of 47 from a heart attack. He had raced for a very long time in the Pacific NW and was a CAT 2 (I believe). He had just finished the local Tuesday night P/12/3 race, crossed the line, made it about 200 yards down the finishing straight and fell over. He was never able to be revived.

As far as I know there was no history of heart issues with him but the cause of death was a heart attack.

Sometimes crap happens and there is little you can do about it. Kirchen very possibly may just have some heart issues and it may have nothing to do with PED usage. I hope not and am happy for him that if he has heart issues it's caught now and can be treated instead of finding out too late (which I hope doesn't end up being the case here).

·
Making memories
291 Posts
Wookiebiker said:
I'll preface this by saying it wouldn't surprise me if it was doping given the history of the sport.

Now, with that said...

A local racer passed away last week at the age of 47 from a heart attack. He had raced for a very long time in the Pacific NW and was a CAT 2 (I believe). He had just finished the local Tuesday night P/12/3 race, crossed the line, made it about 200 yards down the finishing straight and fell over. He was never able to be revived.

As far as I know there was no history of heart issues with him but the cause of death was a heart attack.

Sometimes crap happens and there is little you can do about it. Kirchen very possibly may just have some heart issues and it may have nothing to do with PED usage. I hope not and am happy for him that if he has heart issues it's caught now and can be treated instead of finding out too late (which I hope doesn't end up being the case here).
Similar situation here in Colorado 2 years ago following the Elephant Rock ride. An avid cyclist, good shape, 38 years old, passed in his sleep due to a heart attack. No known heart disease or indications it would happen. Yup, crap happens.

·
Registered
167 Posts
First off, best wishes to Kim Kirchen for a full and speedy recovery. Somehow a few of us have been touched by friends, fellow-riders, or even pro-athletes who have suffered, or died of a heart attack. My close buddy just passed on a couple of months ago after cresting a 2-mile, steep climb (15% grades with no letup). The body is indeed a complex machinery, and to think that these athletes (notably pro cyclists) are always pushing the envelope, literally redlining their cardiovascular system, day-in and day-out, it is amazing...and 'scary' at the same time. So it could be running the motor too hot, and the heart and possibly entering into ventricular fibrillation - hence the importance of having a portable defibrillator available during event or club rides, or in well known bike routes, trails.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.