Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My local shop got in a limited set of 2008/09 Kleins during the fall that are now only avail in the Japanese market. They sold out these Kleins in about a weeks time.

This is a 55cm Klein Q-Elite full carbon frame/fork. It has gorgeous dark blue to light blue metallic fade paint job that pictures don't do justice. A must see in person paint scheme.

Geo specs:
  • 55cm seat tube
  • 55cm eff top tube
  • 72.5 head angle
  • 73.5 seat angle
  • 406mm chainstay
  • 985mm wheelbase
  • 45 fork offset
  • 763mm standover
I test rode a built up one at the shop and really liked the fast ride. It felt similar to the Specialized Roubaix ride: fast but more comfortable than a crit bike.

The only info online for these are on the remaining Klein site, which is in Japanese. Looks like Trek removed the American website.
http://www.kleinjapan.com/bicycles/q-elite_xv.html

This will be a long term build, so I'll post pics as I build it. I plan on slowing building this up with nice NOS 07-08 parts if I can find eBay deals.

I had no idea that Trek had discontinued the Klein line for all but Japan, where I was told Klein is a boutique brand. Now Lemond and Klein are gone from the road bike world.

Pics...

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Its really too bad Klein went away. The natural assumption is to blame it on Trek, but I don't think that's entirely true (after all, Trek saved them from bankruptcy in the first place). When bicycles moved away from aluminum Klein lost their signature design. Although I haven't ridden one, I'm willing to bet a carbon Klein isn't different from other bikes the way an aluminum Klein is different.

I still ride an old Quantum Race and its a dream.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I kind of like the fat tube design.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It is too bad. Klein was always known for being a more upscale Cannondale with eye-catching simplicity and wonderful finishes. This looks like a great frame, but now they are kind of a "me-too" brand in an already crowed market. I think they lost their identity.

brewster

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Very cool!

I would love to have one. I owned a few KLEIN MTBs back in the day. I am sooo sorry they are gone.

·
Broken Legs Suck
621 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
I would love to have one. I owned a few KLEIN MTBs back in the day. I am sooo sorry they are gone.
I still have my Klein MTB. Mostly gets used for towing my boys in the trailer these days, but still hits the dirt once in a while. It's had several upgrades over the years. Still a great bike.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
That's a beauty! Klein was a brand I always thought I'd try someday. No more.

Are you going to use mostly black or mostly silver parts? That one seems like it could either way.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
llama31 said:
That's a beauty! Klein was a brand I always thought I'd try someday. No more.

Are you going to use mostly black or mostly silver parts? That one seems like it could either way.
Not quite sure yet as to go with black or silver.

Here are some photos I found on a couple Japanese blogs.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Not quite sure yet as to go with black or silver.
I'm starting to think that one calls for all black, including the cranks, rims, hubs etc. And carbon levers and derailleurs if you can find reasonable deals.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
brewster said:
This looks like a great frame, but now they are kind of a "me-too" brand in an already crowed market. I think they lost their identity.
It's true. Over time the Klein brand did loose it's identity.

Kleins were always known for aluminum, this frame/fork is all carbon.

Still, there is something special looking about this frame I have to admit.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
llama31 said:
Klein was a brand I always thought I'd try someday. No more.
The shop owner was telling me that Trek for a brief moment made plans to reintroduce Klein as replacement for the Lemond brand after it severed ties with Greg.

Then he said they changed plans and decided expand the Gary Fisher line to include road bikes and cross bikes as the Lemond gap filler.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kbiker3111 said:
When bicycles moved away from aluminum Klein lost their signature design. Although I haven't ridden one, I'm willing to bet a carbon Klein isn't different from other bikes the way an aluminum Klein is different.

I still ride an old Quantum Race and its a dream.
I never got to ride an alum Klein back in the day. I always admired them in the shop, but never could afford them at the time. They had a reputation for being stiff I was told and the racers loved them.

Nostalgia did have a bit to do with me picking up this frame I have to admit.

The frame may no longer be aluminum, no internal cable routing and Gary Klein himself had not hand in this frame. But I finally got a Klein years later :D with the sweet paintjob that always caught my eye.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DIRT BOY said:
Back in the day, I always wanted one of those rigid Kleins with the matching painted fork. I occasionally see them on eBay fetching 4 figure prices.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
llama31 said:
I'm starting to think that one calls for all black, including the cranks, rims, hubs etc. And carbon levers and derailleurs if you can find reasonable deals.
I am leaning towards black right now too. I've seen some good deals on old 10 speed pre 08 Campy Centaur carbon stuff on eBay. But I am also curious about the SRAM Rival setup too.

Maybe I will work in some white parts here and there, not too much, but just enough. Kleins were "loud" after all back in the day and I would like to work that loudness in a bit without screaming.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Slim Again said:
Klein has always known how to lay down a spectacular paint job.

That's another gorgeous example.
I really dig the paint job too.

From the front, it looks dark blue.
But when you look at the back side, it's a light powder blue.

I always liked the Jekyll/Hyde color schemes on the Kleins. They had this really cool front purple/rear green color before too.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In the spirit of Klein loud colors, perhaps I might go with a set of gold Campy wheels.

The gold would look good with the sweet Linear Blue paint scheme.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.