Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

So far the weather here in New Jersey has been a fat Zero and when l get a nice day l have a prior obligation to attend functions but that is coming to an end after this weekend.

Anyway l was talking to my friend who has a Klein and l have no idea which model he has and l don't plan on riding with him but l started looking at them and they seem to be fine bikes.

Keeping in mind that l would be buying a Trek FX 7.3 new and would hope that they would fit me properly or a Klein Reve V 2006 in 95% condition with upgrades. The Klein should also fit because the owner and l are the same size.

I realize the Trek is a hybrid mtn bike and the Klein is more of a racer, what do you think?

I will not be racing anybody and will be used to go on bike paths and road trips to the ocean. I will not be riding off the paths or roads.

I would offer the owner of the Klein $500 and that's if he will take it. But again it's a 52cm which is for a person approx 5.5" or so.

Thanks

Alan

· Registered
642 Posts
Those bikes are two very different animals. Depending your wants and needs, one of those bikes will suit you much better than the other.
Ride them both and get the one you like best.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

I will be going to my LBS on friday is they are not that busy but the Klein Reve V is on EBAY.
It will probably go off at a dollar amount more then l wanted to spend anyway.

I plan on for this year to cycle only on bike trails (paved) and to ride around town to get ready for next year.

Thanks

· thien™
3,425 Posts
Alan,

I wouldn't necessarily call the Reve a racer. It's a road bike, but it's built to be used more for comfort than racing. Not to say you couldn't race with it. but there are a few subtle features that set it apart from most road bikes. Such as the use of long reach brake calipers, so you could potentially fit some really fat tires, say 700 x 28's on there and still have clearance for fenders. And there's also the SPA technology in the rear seat stay to give you a lil bit of cushion. The Reve would be a fine road bike for bike trails, paved or packed dirt even. But you'd be able to toss on normal road tires and then mix it up with the club rides as well. If that's your aim in the future I'd say give the Reve a go.

The 7.3fx is a hybrid and seems like it would fit your needs right now as well. And the fact you're getting it at a LBS will ensure you get a properly fitting model and support after the sale.

Hope that helps.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
I don't know how far it is to the ocean, and if you plan to do much besides 10-20 rides on a bike trail... but if you think you might enjoy cycling and end up doing longer organized rides--I'd get the Klein. The problem with the FX and most hybrids--is if you end up loving cycling the bike is worthless. You'll end up wanting a road bike and/or a mountain bike.

If you're not really much of a cycling fan and just riding because your friend wants to... and don't see that changing... the FX is a more casual, versatile bike.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

The Klein went for too much money so l will go for the Trek 7.3 if it fits. My concern is that a guy around the corner picked up the 7.2 and with the 17.5 whatever and said that the clearance for his family jewels was real close and he is 2 inches taller than l.
I will try it because he might have a long torso.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.