Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the T Mobil launch Andreas Kloden stated..." "We will have only one captain for the Tour and that is Jan. He is the team's number one for the Tour. My job is to get to the start in good shape and then to help him try to win the race."

I don't get it. Kloden finished ahead of Jan in the TDF two years ago and he is just now 30 years old and ostensibly hitting his prime. Why does he not want to go out and beat Jan and everybody else? Kloden is a great rider, obviously very classy...I just don't understand why he is willing to put Jan ahead of his own desires to win the Tour.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Flatlander said:
At the T Mobil launch Andreas Kloden stated..." "We will have only one captain for the Tour and that is Jan. He is the team's number one for the Tour. My job is to get to the start in good shape and then to help him try to win the race."

I don't get it. Kloden finished ahead of Jan in the TDF two years ago and he is just now 30 years old and ostensibly hitting his prime. Why does he not want to go out and beat Jan and everybody else? Kloden is a great rider, obviously very classy...I just don't understand why he is willing to put Jan ahead of his own desires to win the Tour.
Paycheck? Big one? - TF

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
he's a head case.

look how it turned out for him last year. after 2004 he got cocky, and had the media hyping him as a possible winner. he trash talked his teammates, but cracked under the pressure.

maybe it's the money, maybe he learned his lesson - walk quietly and carry a big stick. or maybe now that WG is gone the team management is clamping down, and trying to avoid the tactical mess they had on their hands last year with too many leaders?

:confused:

Flatlander said:

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
I think more likely...

botto said:
he's a head case.

look how it turned out for him last year. after 2004 he got cocky, and had the media hyping him as a possible winner. he trash talked his teammates, but cracked under the pressure.

maybe it's the money, maybe he learned his lesson - walk quietly and carry a big stick. or maybe now that WG is gone the team management is clamping down, and trying to avoid the tactical mess they had on their hands last year with too many leaders?

:confused:
I think that more than likely after they have had their asses handed to them for the past 7 years, that they are just coming to the realization that indeed, if you want to win the Tour, you've got to have a dedicated team to one individual, and it should be Jan. Not only has he finished 2nd a bunch of times, remember, he also won once as well, his track record is far and away much better than Kloden's who compared to Jan hasn't done jack squat. Look at the mess their team was in last year. Vino attacking, Jan countering, Vino going off on long successful solo efforts, and so on, they had no cohesion, and they lost, again. If they are going to beat CSC they've got to get it together, and ride united. That being said, Goodefroot also retired this year, and he just wanted to win, and expected them to win, but he didn't bring much strategy to the table, he was old school and just expected results. Anyway, one leader per team, that's how you win le Tour these days, Armstrong made that mold, and proved it 7 times in a row yeah?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I hope they break the LA mould.

In so far as one dominant rider.

Let's hope we get a more open era like the 80's. No one rider dominated year in year out. Hinault tried but injury & new blood got the better of him. 10 years & 6 winners in the 80's as opposed to the 90's with Indurain's 5 on the trot & this decade with LA's 6.

I must admit that whilst LA's wins were impressive, it bored me as it did after Indurain crushed all and sundry. It bored me to the point where I only watched the mountains some years.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
What I don't get is why...

Rogers thinks he has a show of becoming the team leader down the track. Foolish boy... They have kloden first of all who has already shown he has the ability(and is German) and the the new young guy(I forget his name but he's German too) and a few others that should be contenders.

Why go to that team, well, why would you put money ahead of personal ambition when performance is what pays you? Silly boy.

·
Registered
396 Posts
ultimobici said:
In so far as one dominant rider.

Let's hope we get a more open era like the 80's. No one rider dominated year in year out. Hinault tried but injury & new blood got the better of him. 10 years & 6 winners in the 80's as opposed to the 90's with Indurain's 5 on the trot & this decade with LA's 6.

I must admit that whilst LA's wins were impressive, it bored me as it did after Indurain crushed all and sundry. It bored me to the point where I only watched the mountains some years.
Ummm... don't you mean LA's 7???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts