Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- BREAKING NEWS: Andreas Kloden (Astana) has abandoned the Giro d'Italia.

He can't get over the final mountain?

119km - Big blow for Contador! Andreas Klöden has retired! Now Contador will have to rely on Levi Leipheimer et Antonio Colom in the mountains!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe he is really wasted today and not feeling it..

Time for LEVI to step up and help conti and save the day...

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
WTF??????? Did he crash? To hope Levi does well probably has Alberto biting his lips now......

Oh man.
I just heard the news on my tv coverage now.

Edit to update: He was having bronchitis earlier so maybe yesterday's killer stage plus the weather really got to him. From EuroSports

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
he did some superhuman work yesterday.... They rode him like a carnival pony... I could understand this. It sux, but is definitely interesting for AC.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Some from Astana told cyclingnews.com...

“He has been sick for a week, but stayed in the race in order not to weaken the team. Yesterday evening it already didn’t look good for today. He probably went to deep yesterday.” He added, “Andreas has a respiratory infection. It is difficult to say now, but it could be a lung infection. He had a fever all night.” Maertens concluded, “he was a super team-mate for Alberto Contador.”

Shame

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Yeah he was out of it by the end of his pull yesterday so it's very understandable given his infection initially. Seems like a few riders have infection problems (Contador and Kloden amongst the ones I know but can't remember the rest though)

Simoni goes again! Cool...

Damn it, Levi already lost touch... Whoa... Nice so far. Menchov now!!!!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Kloeden was terrific yesterday -- he earned his pay. Chapeaux to Sean Yates (or Allain Gallopin, whoever the Astana DS is) for getting Tony Colom up and over the Mortirolo before the GC group to help Conti on the final climbs. It took the pressure off of Astana to set the pace and gave him a teammate up the road. Colom had a great ride today.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
It turns out though that Alberto did not need Antonio up there after all in terms of having to pull him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.