Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just taken my first ride on this chain, and it feels much less substainial than the Shimano 10 speed chain it is replacing. It sounds light and tinny. I used White Lightning wax lube, and need to reapply it ( I must have missed a spot or not gotten complete penetration) because it's squeeking a touch. Maybe more lube will make the chain sound more substaintial. I'm not that worried about being stranded in the middle of nowhere, but I'd like to get some long term feedback from folks that have used the chain.
The weight of the Shimano chain was 240 gms cut, and the Kmc was 226 cut to the same length (with link)

·
Banned
978 Posts
Yes!

AlexCad5 said:
The weight of the Shimano chain was 240 gms cut, and the Kmc was 226 cut to the same length (with link)
The KMC X10SL is superior to Campagnolo or Wipperman chains. I've had them all, but the KMC is the best shifting quietest chain I've ever used. Check e-bay as I found a Korean outfit selling at smoking prices. I'm seen some shops in the US asking $85!!! Don't get ripped off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KMC-X10SL-Super...ryZ42320QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
919 Posts
Let's see... you buy a chain drilled full of holes and then complain about it being light and tinny? The regular DX-10SC is a very good chain, sans holes: I'm not sure how the extra lightening affects the durability. If it were me, I'd lose the White Lightning and go with a wet lube like ProLink.

·
Registered
329 Posts
AlexCad5 said:
It sounds light and tinny.
Ever hear Mike Tyson speak?

I have no idea what you are referring to when you say it "feels" less "substantial". No offense, I just have no basis for understanding what you are talking about, may be I am too weak or inexperienced to understand what you mean.

I can tell you that I have no fears or qualms about using the KMC chains. I have several, and they work very nicely. Do a search over in Components and Wrenching and you will find that the 10sc has lots of fan fare. If you are concerned about a chain being wimpy, perhaps the sc model will be more to your liking than the sl model.

Personally, I found Shimano chains to be more problematic, and faster to "stretch".

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
AlexCad5 said:
I've just taken my first ride on this chain, and it feels much less substainial than the Shimano 10 speed chain it is replacing. It sounds light and tinny. I used White Lightning wax lube, and need to reapply it ( I must have missed a spot or not gotten complete penetration) because it's squeeking a touch. Maybe more lube will make the chain sound more substaintial. I'm not that worried about being stranded in the middle of nowhere, but I'd like to get some long term feedback from folks that have used the chain.
Ys, just use a better lube. Prolink or Homebrew.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
proof ???

QQUIKM3 said:
The KMC X10SL is superior to Campagnolo or Wipperman chains. I've had them all, but the KMC is the best shifting quietest chain I've ever used. Check e-bay as I found a Korean outfit selling at smoking prices. I'm seen some shops in the US asking $85!!! Don't get ripped off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KMC-X10SL-Super...ryZ42320QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I have to call BS on that statement, unless you've done some extensive chain wear testing. I've tested the much lower priced KMC DX10SC chain and it does wear well, but not as good as a Campy chain. The TiN coated X10SL may last longer, if the coating has been done to the pins, inner plates or the inside of the rollers, that are the critical wear areas. Otherwise, it's just decoration. At $50 or more, it costs as much or more than a Campy chain, so it better last a long time.

To the OP, ditch the White lightning crap and switch to a wet lube. Use Prolink if you like to pay 20 times more than necessary for chain lube. Otherwise, try some homebrew.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Banned
978 Posts
No BS about it. .

C-40 said:
I have to call BS on that statement, unless you've done some extensive chain wear testing.
Sometimes empirical data more than adequate. Using Prolink, it's immediately apparent when shifting the Campy chain is kind of noisy compared to the KMC, additionally, the KMC shifts smoother. I also don't get your pricing schem. The Record chain sells for around about $60.00, and I can get the better KMC X10SL for $49.00 "but it now" off ebay all day long. It's a no brainer.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
no brains...

QQUIKM3 said:
Sometimes empirical data more than adequate. Using Prolink, it's immediately apparent when shifting the Campy chain is kind of noisy compared to the KMC, additionally, the KMC shifts smoother. I also don't get your pricing schem. The Record chain sells for around about $60.00, and I can get the better KMC X10SL for $49.00 "but it now" off ebay all day long. It's a no brainer.
More accurately, you really have no data other than a gut feel. Your idea that a Campy chain is "kind of noisy" compared to a KMC is strictly opinion. I have not found that to be true at all. It shift fine, but no better than a Campy chain on a Campy cassette.

Prices vary greatly, depending on how much research you do. I've never paid over $40 for any Campy chain, but I wouldn't spend the extra money on Record. Here's a Record chain for $44. A Veloce chain will wear just as long and only costs $32.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=L2006

A KMC DX10SC for $20-22 is a better deal than any of the above.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I tried a KMCx10SL and it died in a few months. I am back to the KMC by Forte at Performancebike. It is a few grams heavier, a lot less expensive with those frequent 20% off coupons, shifts the same and lasts longer. IMO its quieter as well. Its a no brainer.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,046 Posts
AlexCad5 said:
That's who I got mine from.
Me too. That guy must have a truckload of them parked in his driveway!

·
Banned
978 Posts
It's not the same chain. . .

disney said:
Even cheaper to buy in the UK at £60 (about $125 ) for three delivered( prefer the silver colour).
The silver chain does NOT have the same surface treatment as the gold chains:
From the horse's mouth:

Titanium Nitride Coating
Introducing our latest coating technology on X10SL Gold, X9SL Gold, X10 Gold and X9 Gold Titanium Nitride coating in gold colour.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My experience is the same as QQUIKM3. KMCX10SL is the best chain I have used for quiet and smooth on my Campy drivetrain. Some may not be able to tell the difference (or care about the difference), but, I can (do). I keep the chain clean and lubed and have had no issues with durability.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
QQUIKM3 said:
The silver chain does NOT have the same surface treatment as the gold chains:
From the horse's mouth:

Titanium Nitride Coating
Introducing our latest coating technology on X10SL Gold, X9SL Gold, X10 Gold and X9 Gold Titanium Nitride coating in gold colour.
I can tell you from selling more and using KMC maybe longer than anyone here, the Ti coating does NOT really help that much in chain life. They do seem to last a bit longer, but nothing drastic.

IMHO, they are slighty quieter on 10 speed drivetrains than the silver version when they get a bit dry.

9 speed no difference. Also the 10 speed chains silver or gold run very very nice on 9 speed MTB systems.

Te X10 SL are great. Onlyu go with gold if you want that look.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
abqhudson said:
I buy the gold chain (I don't like the look) because it's $20-30. cheaper on the net than silver. Does anyone have a good source for silver X10SL? TIA.
Where? The gold is usally $10-15 more. At least that is what I sell them for.

You want silver, contact me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.