Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to set up a couple of chains so that I can take them off easily to clean and rotate them. I'm using an Ultegra 10 spd chain and I was thinking of using a KMC Missing Link as a connector.

But I was hearing somewhere that you can't separate the chain by hand with this connector, and that the connector is not re-usable.

Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Both true. I'm drawing a blank right now but someone dose make a master link for shimano 10-sp chains you and open by hand and reuse.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info...

The current wipperman connex link will fit and requires not tools. KMC made links at one time that were not considered to be reuseable, but the ones that come on their current chains are certainly reuseable.

Any brand of link, except wipperman, can be stubborn to remove, but a special pair of pliers from Park will do the job, as will a pair of needle nose pliers, with a little grinding to make the end narrow enough to slip over the rollers.

Do not use a SRAM 10 powerloc on a Shimano chain - it's too narrow across the inside of the outer plates.

If you can find the KMC DX10SC or X10.93 chain for $20-25, they comes with a missing link and will last longer than a Shimano chain.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/Produ...rodPerPage=999&CatID=63&BCat=1,63&RootCatID=1

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies

So, if I already have an Ultegra chain, would it be better to get a Wipperman link than a KMC, as it is easer to remove?

C-40 said:
The current wipperman connex link will fit and requires not tools. KMC made links at one time that were not considered to be reuseable, but the ones that come on their current chains are certainly reuseable.

Any brand of link, except wipperman, can be stubborn to remove, but a special pair of pliers from Park will do the job, as will a pair of needle nose pliers, with a little grinding to make the end narrow enough to slip over the rollers.

Do not use a SRAM 10 powerloc on a Shimano chain - it's too narrow across the inside of the outer plates.

If you can find the KMC DX10SC or X10.93 chain for $20-25, they comes with a missing link and will last longer than a Shimano chain.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/Produ...rodPerPage=999&CatID=63&BCat=1,63&RootCatID=1

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,456 Posts
Bertrand said:
So, if I already have an Ultegra chain, would it be better to get a Wipperman link than a KMC, as it is easer to remove?
Neither are "easy" to remove, they both require a small bit of effort if you're using just your hands. It's easier with the type of tool C-40 mentioned.

I've used the KMC links both on my 9-speed and 10-speed bikes for several years now and heartily endorse them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
True, but it wasn't the one i was thinking of. They went over this when I was at Barnett's and recommended one that for the life of me I can not remember who made. I'll look in my united catalog at work tomorrow and find out what they were.

·
Registered
78 Posts
big_papa_nuts said:
True, but it wasn't the one i was thinking of. They went over this when I was at Barnett's and recommended one that for the life of me I can not remember who made. I'll look in my united catalog at work tomorrow and find out what they were.
Was it Forester SuperLinks?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
not so....

DaveT said:
Neither are "easy" to remove, they both require a small bit of effort if you're using just your hands. It's easier with the type of tool C-40 mentioned.

I've used the KMC links both on my 9-speed and 10-speed bikes for several years now and heartily endorse them.

The wipperman link never requires any effort or a tool to remove as long as the chain tension is removed by grasping the chain on both sides of the link. Unlike all others, it does not rely on an interference fit to snap into place.

The wipperman is directional and must be installed with the slotted end of the outer plate facing the back of the bike, when viewed from the right side, on the lower section of chain.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've removed and replaced the same KMC link a few time over the course of the chain's life with no problems. My hunch is that the original 'do not reuse' warning was meant to scare you off using the same 'missing link' when migrating from an old chain to a new one. Since a new link comes with every chain, it isn't a big issue.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
The KMC's are reuseable. Just don't use an old one on a new chain. They work fine on a Shimano 10s chain. And they're cheaper than a Wipperman.

I'll go with C-40. Our shop recommends the KMC DX10SC for all 10 speed applications.

I've been using that chain on a Campy 10 setup for some time now with very good results - shifts great, quiet as a tomb, and acceptable longevity.

I also use the KMC 9 speed chain on my Campy 8 speed bike with similar results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.