Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· all the gear - no idea
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have Campy ultra narrow 10 speed chain and have always used Connex 10S1 (ie shimano, as per C-40 advice) link for this, but am finding this hard to source in UK (rumour they don't make them any more!)

Is the KMC missing link for campy next best option for the ultra narrow Campagnolo chain?

or maybe SRAM 10 powerlock?

many thanks for your advice

Charlie

· Registered
3,096 Posts
Trek now ships Shimano 10s equipped bikes with the KMC link. Our service manager recommends it to our customers rather than use the Shimano pins, but it is the customer's choice.

However, I've yet to see it used on a Campy chain. I simply use the KMC DX10/SC (Shimano and Campy compatible) chain on my 10s Campy drivetrain. As I've posted elsewhere, it shifts beautifully and is dead quiet. And so far durability is acceptable, but on that score I'd probably have to go with Campy. But the price difference offsets that.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
doesn't fit...

The connex 10S1 should still be readily available. The standard KMC link that fits their 10 speed chain will also fit a Shimano chain, but not a Campy UN. The only links with the proper inner width are the SRAM powerloc and the Forster Superlink, model 4.

I have seen a post that showed a KMC link that was supposedly Campy compatible, but some of those claims refer to the old original Campy 10 chain, not the new UN chain. Coincidentally, the original Campy 10 chain, Shimano 10 and KMC are all nearly identical in width across the inner sideplates and take the same connecting link.

I believe that Wipperman now only makes their most narrow 10 speed chain that was referred to as Shimano compatible, but is now listed as compatible with all 10 speed systems. The connex link for that chain should be the 10S1 and fit the Campy UN chain.

Unfortunately, a lot of the sellers of the connex link don't even know what they are selling. I bought a couple of links from bike tires direct that were claimed to fit a Campy UN chain, but is was the older, wider, link, still marked 10 SPEED, the same as it has been for many years.

I'm also using the KMC DX10SC chain on my Campy drivetrains right now. They work fine, but I've only got 1250 miles on one chain, so I can't report on the chain life yet. I only paid $21 for these chains, so I'll easily get my money's worth from them.

Here's what you need. Note that they still claim it fits Shimano chains, but it does not.
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...nk+6.1mm&vendorCode=WIPPERMN&major=1&minor=11

· all the gear - no idea
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks C-40

C-40 said:
The connex 10S1 should still be readily available. The standard KMC link that fits their 10 speed chain will also fit a Shimano chain, but not a Campy UN. The only links with the proper inner width are the SRAM powerloc and the Forster Superlink, model 4.

Thanks...

so only links acceptable with UN campy chain are:

Wippermann Connex 10S1
Sram 10 powerloc
Forster superlink model 4

KMC missing link 10C (perfectly connecting campagnolo 10 speed chains - pin length 5.9mm, says on packaging!) is no good?

· Registered
13 Posts
I got a KMC MissingLink labeled 5.88 mm. It says for KMC and Shimano only. I think it's a "10S" but it's not 5.9, it's 5.88 (.02 mm!!! that is small) Is this different? Still unacceptable? It "seems" to work fine.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
measure...

pjcampo said:
I got a KMC MissingLink labeled 5.88 mm. It says for KMC and Shimano only. I think it's a "10S" but it's not 5.9, it's 5.88 (.02 mm!!! that is small) Is this different? Still unacceptable? It "seems" to work fine.
What chain are you using it with? If it's on a Shimano chain and has .004 - .008 inch of side clearance, then it fits. If it's on a SRAM or Campy UN chain and has this much clearance it fits. If the side clearance is around .015 inch on a Campy or SRAM chain, then it's the standard KMC link and does not fit the chain properly.

The outside width is not very important, it's the inner width of the connector link that is important. You need to measure the inner width with calipers or use feeler gages between the outer and inner plates to determine the clearance in order to know if the link fits.

· Unsafe at Any Speed
456 Posts
What is your experience with these and similar links / connectors? No mishaps?

My LBS avoids using them, but fortunately still sells them. They say links can come undone on a bumpy road.

I have used 9 speed SRAM links with total success over many thousands of miles.

I also use a 10 speed no-name which looks nearly like KMC has also been trouble-free, but these wear out every 1000km (625 miles) with bad link pin wear.

I found some real KMC Missing Link ones now, I hope they last longer.

IMHO a Shimano pin which is used without the requisite skill, is more likely to fail than any connector.

Is the SRAM 10 powerlock link removable / reusable? It seems not?

· Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

I've never had a failure of a connector link. The SRAM powerloc is not intended for reuse and only fits a SRAM or Campy UN chain. You might be able to remove and reinstall it with a special pair of pliers from Park Tool, or a homemade version made by grinding down a pair of small needle nose pliers.

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=5&item=MLP-1

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Pieter said:
My LBS avoids using them, but fortunately still sells them. They say links can come undone on a bumpy road.
then find a new LBS as that is one of the biggest crock of crap (
) commements I have heard in years,!

· Registered
10,161 Posts
never tried it...

Birddog said:
C40, what's your opinion of the IRD chain connector link? Their packaging says they make one for Campy as well as Shimano/Sram.

Birddog
I've not tried the IRD link, but as with others, you have to watch the fit. If someone says they have a link the fits Shimano/SRAM, it can't be 10 speed, because they require different links. One link could fit Campy UN/SRAM and another could fit Shimano, KMC or the old Campy 10 chain. I've never owned an IRD chain to measure the inner plate width.

Some of the advertising for these links is outdated. Campy quit making the original wider 10 speed chain two years ago, but you still see the same links advertised as Campy compatible, when they actually fit the old chain, not the current model.

· Registered
567 Posts
My mistake, The package indicates that they make a Shimano 10 only, a Campy/IRD 10, and a 9 spd IRD only. I bought an IRD Snap Link III with the box X'ed for 10 Speed Shimano only. It works well after about 30 miles testing.
The back of the pkg states " Now our 10-speed Snap Link is compatible with both Campy and IRD chains". I'm guessing that means only the one X'ed for Campy/ IRD. I guess I could go to their website to find out more.

Birddog

· I've felt the Felt
42 Posts
boo powerlink

The powerlink is a one time use. Booo for that. I don't know about KMC... I think the Connex is the way to go. I hope you can find it.

charlieboy said:
I have Campy ultra narrow 10 speed chain and have always used Connex 10S1 (ie shimano, as per C-40 advice) link for this, but am finding this hard to source in UK (rumour they don't make them any more!)

Is the KMC missing link for campy next best option for the ultra narrow Campagnolo chain?

or maybe SRAM 10 powerlock?

many thanks for your advice

Charlie

· Registered
13 Posts
Ugh. OK.

I am guessing its a Record UN chain (it says "CR" on it) and came on my bike with a 2007 Record group. I really don't have any way of measuring this. On my other bike, my LBS gave me a connector that looks like a Connex, but it doesn't say 10S1 on it, it says 10-speed spelled out. If I didn't know any better I would say it works OK, because it's been on there for a while(a couple thousand?) However the KMC seems to actually work better. It doesn't hiccup passing through the derailleur cogs at least. I rode 100 miles on it in the past 2 days. I do have a race Sunday, and would like to get this correct. But my gut says don't mess with it if it works until after the race. Touching bikes 1 day before race is :hand:

· I've felt the Felt
42 Posts
chain stretch?

I just replaced my chain because it was stretched to .75 on the Park tools chain checker. I replaced the chain and tried to keep my Connex, but couldn't. It was WAY to stretched out. The difference between the old Connex and new chain, threw it off of the cassette as it turned around it. Just a thought... It might be worth it to check.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.