Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are folks thoughts on this? Any downside to using the KMC link on Campy 11s? Does the link last as long as the chain?

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Works fine for me. My last link lasted (at least) 10K miles. Current one has 6,500 miles on it.
Thanks. I bought a Lezyne chain tool for Campy 11 but the process seems somewhat error prone and a link seems more idiot proof.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,949 Posts
The master link needs (lots of) lube to start with. You just close the chain with a masterlink dry and not give it a helping of lube, it'll have much higher friction than the other pins and wear out significantly sooner.

Master links are IMHO more fool-proof than re-pinning Campag chains. You have to subtract links from the correct end of the chain to start with...After mounting the chain, you have to drive the new pin in from the correct side....then you have to peen it. And then it has to have smooth flex. Master link-ing is much simpler.

With how expensive 11s chains are...I snipe whatever high-tier chains are on sale Amazon Prime. Currently running a SRAM Red PC22 chain, have used Campag Chorus and KMCs (all with KMC links) as well. The Chorus tended to last longer from what I could track. Ofc they're regularly $49.99, when the KMC and SRAM chains are often $30 Prime or less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts