Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday when cycling I was spinning pretty hard and a gust of wind hit me head on. As the wind hit me, it stressed my cycling stroke and I felt a small pop/twinge behind my knee, about 1.5 inches below the joint between the tendons. I limped home pretty much favoring the knee. I stretch fairly well, but it was cold.

Has anyone had this happen before? How long should I lay off? How did you rehab? Did you see a sports med MD or just lay off.? Frustrating because I was just getting my mileage up as well form and speed. The only thing I can think of as a cause is that I was feel some discomfort in front of the kness, so I raised my seat about 1-1.5 centimeters Grrrr. Thanks.

·
ab aeterno
3,395 Posts
Just RICE. Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate.

If you were just getting your mileage up, it's pretty obvious that this is from being out of shape, most likely a pulled muscle. I'd do some calf stretches and take a couple days off until your limp is gone.

A good rule of thumb for seeing a doctor is if the initial pain causes you to be unable to move, the injury gets really swollen, or chronic pain that won't go away with rest.

Note I'm not a doctor, my advice should be taken with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
90 Posts
TheDon said:
A good rule of thumb for seeing a doctor is if the initial pain causes you to be unable to move, the injury gets really swollen, or chronic pain that won't go away with rest.

Note I'm not a doctor, my advice should be taken with a grain of salt.
Incorrect.

Note I am a doctor. My advice should be taken with 2 ibuprofen and a glass of water :thumbsup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
calle_betis said:
Yesterday when cycling I was spinning pretty hard and a gust of wind hit me head on. As the wind hit me, it stressed my cycling stroke and I felt a small pop/twinge behind my knee, about 1.5 inches below the joint between the tendons. I limped home pretty much favoring the knee. I stretch fairly well, but it was cold.

Has anyone had this happen before? How long should I lay off? How did you rehab? Did you see a sports med MD or just lay off.? Frustrating because I was just getting my mileage up as well form and speed. The only thing I can think of as a cause is that I was feel some discomfort in front of the kness, so I raised my seat about 1-1.5 centimeters Grrrr. Thanks.
There's a bunch of muscles that begin and end behind the knee.

1-1.5 cm is a lot of change if your bike is already dialed in. I never change more than 1 thing at a time. With the seatpost or seat it's max 5mm at at time.

See a orthopedist. Get an MRI. Good luck.

·
Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Doc. I stretch my achilles quite a bit so this was suprising. I've laid off a week and haven't done anything to agrevate the upper calf muscle. I may try and go for an easy ride tomorrow. I returned my seat to the original height. I ruptured (severed) my achilles in 'oo so this was a little scary. Thanks for the advice with regards to increasing seat height. Appreciate it.:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.