Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, a bit of background: I'm 24 and have started racing. I've been training about 250-300 road miles a week for the last 3 months and things couldn't have been better. Feeling great, no problems or injuries and just got sponsored by a local store ect. Yesterday I decided to take my mountain bike out for the first time in a few months and aside from feeling rusty everything seemed ok...until I woke up this morning. My knee was stiff and about the size of a grapefruit and full of fluid. It hurts to touch it but once I get it moving the pain goes away. I didn't hit my knee or have any kind of traumatic injury but my sister in law is a doctor and said it looks and sounds like bursitis. Supposedly it can come from trauma, overuse, or an infection. From my googling it seems like trauma is the most common cause (which I didn't experience) and it seems strange that it just appeared one morning. I'm just hitting my stride in the racing season and suddenly it feels like I'm 85 years old. Has anyone else out there had this happen out of the blue? Can I keep riding through the swelling? I can't stay off the bike for weeks so that's not really an option and any advice from survivors out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Hold your line!
177 Posts
I've had bursitis off and on over the years. I'm much older and mine wasn't as severe as yours. For me, it was caused by incorrect saddle position causing too much strain on the knee during extreme effort (climbing) in combination with some weight training. I guessing the different geometry of your MTB is what triggered it for you. The only way I got it to go away was to tinker with my saddle location (moved it forward 1cm) which helped tremendously. I also eliminated the weight training and reduced intensity of "normal" riding (mostly climbing) for about a month. Basically, reduce the stress on the joint. I also took anti-inflammatory meds every day for about two weeks.

For you, I suggest you go see your doctor immediately. Unless Doc determines that there is physical damage, he'll probably just prescribe anti-inflammatories and tell you to stop riding for a while. Beyond that.....stay off your MTB during racing season.

Good luck

·
Registered
390 Posts
Have it checked out

The doc will likely drain some fluid if it is still highly swollen. They can then send it to the lab and find out if it is an infection, and if so, which bug is causing it so the proper antibiotics can be prescribed.

[If no] infection markers show up then it can be determined that it is probably just from over-use and/or bike positioning.

I had this happen about 4 years ago when I was training for triathlons, doing a fair bit of mountaineering, and framing houses all summer. There were too many possibilities in all the activities I was doing to narrow it down to one so I had to take it easy for about 2 weeks while doing intensive icing.

Hope you recover quickly!

epicxt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your help everyone. it feels better today but it is warm to the touch and a little pink which is a bit worrisome. i will get it looked at and hopefully some antibiotics will help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts