Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago I developed a pain on the inner side of my left knee. There is a tender spot there. I also experience stiffness. My appointment with the doctor wont be for another month. I have never had knee problems in my 66 years. I have had several bouts with Sciatica that resolved itself in month or so. This time it does not seem to be getting better. There is absolutely no swelling in the leg. Anybody here have exerienced a similar problem?

Thanks

·
fu
2,424 Posts
Would it matter if someone here has experienced a similar problem? It wouldn't mean that they have the same condition as you.
What's the reason for the sciatica you've had in the past? Perhaps that's what you should to look into.
You really need to see a doctor and get properly diagnosed.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
good luck, it can be anything. stress you had back problems when you eventually get to a doc, it was the culprint for me but it can be anything really.
(had 3 doctor visits, 10 physio sessions and finally a rheumatologist before the cause was found; I hope waiting times get shorter for you....).

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had pain on the inside of my knee but it wasn't caused by cycling. It would get stiff and painful after sitting for long periods, walking a lot and sometimes after long rides. Diagnosis was osteoarthritis. Aging was the culprit.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had pain on the inside of my knee but it wasn't caused by cycling. It would get stiff and painful after sitting for long periods, walking a lot and sometimes after long rides. Diagnosis was osteoarthritis. Aging was the culprit.
Your symptoms sound similar to mine. Were the doctors able to help you?

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
The doctor said that I should get these synvisc shots which have helped somewhat. My knee is not getting stiff and painful now but I will have to continue the shots every 6 months or so.
Before I saw the comment on synvisc osteoarthritis was my "Internet diagnosis" as well. I tweaked by knee a couple of years ago and it didn't get better after several weeks. Doctor visit said osteoarthritis and was given the series of 3 synvisc shots and physical therapy. There is no doubt in my mind that the PT was far more important than the synvisc though probably the shots got me free of pain a bit faster (for $1500).

My reccomendation is to get into PT and then do the exercises for the rest of your life. I'm already 18 months past the injections and my knee is better than it was before I tweaked it. The synvisc is good for "6 ot 24 months" but I strongly suspect that I won't need it again - I'm already 18 months past the start of PT. I thought that after years of cyling, downhill, and XC skiing I had strong knees but the PT taught me this was not the case. Strengthening the knees with the proper exercises is the best thing you can do for osteoarthritis.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the kind and informative replies. I still think that there is a good chance that the problem is in my back. The doctor will have to make that determination.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Some one already asked, but I'll ask too. What is the cause of your sciatica? Usually sciatica is related to some sort of pressure, for any of a number of reasons, on nerves around the S1 and/or L5 and can result in lower leg or foot pain. The knee area is mapped to the L3 and L4 nerves so it's doubtful your knee pain is related to you sciatica but your best bet is to talk with a knee orthopedic physician and have some images taken. Anything else is just guess work.

Thanks to all for the kind and informative replies. I still think that there is a good chance that the problem is in my back. The doctor will have to make that determination.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some one already asked, but I'll ask too. What is the cause of your sciatica? Usually sciatica is related to some sort of pressure, for any of a number of reasons, on nerves around the S1 and/or L5 and can result in lower leg or foot pain. The knee area is mapped to the L3 and L4 nerves so it's doubtful your knee pain is related to you sciatica but your best bet is to talk with a knee orthopedic physician and have some images taken. Anything else is just guess work.
Several years ago I was diagnosed with artrhitis in the spine. I had physical therapy, and for the most part, I had no trouble unti now. Next week I will see the doctor and hopefully the problem can be resolved.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
I was bone on bone with arthritis, had the series of 3 synovic injections & they did nothing. I had a total knee replacement done 9 weeks ago. Today I rode a metric century. I can't go fast & I can't climb anything much steeper than an overpass, but I was happy to have done what I did at this stage of the game. I averaged 13.4 mph which I thought was terrific considering. I'm still in physical therapy 2-3 times per week.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Saw the Doctor Today

I saw the doctor today. He said that I have a meniscus tear. He recommended physical therapy. He said that if it does not improve in six weeks, I will then get a cortisone shot.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I saw the doctor today. He said that I have a meniscus tear. He recommended physical therapy. He said that if it does not improve in six weeks, I will then get a cortisone shot.
This thread demonstrates the importance of seeing a medical professional. Just now reading through the comments and I too would have said it COULD be from sciatica (herniated disc) as I have an L5-S1 herniated disc that causes pain in my hamstring, knee, calf, and foot. My pain comes and goes and the intensity fluctuates.

Obviously, your physician completed a physical exam that yielded a different diagnosis than you thought. Only so much help available on the internet.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This thread demonstrates the importance of seeing a medical professional. Just now reading through the comments and I too would have said it COULD be from sciatica (herniated disc) as I have an L5-S1 herniated disc that causes pain in my hamstring, knee, calf, and foot. My pain comes and goes and the intensity fluctuates.

Obviously, your physician completed a physical exam that yielded a different diagnosis than you thought. Only so much help available on the internet.
My knee problem is in spite of the Sciatica, not because of it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
My knee problem is in spite of the Sciatica, not because of it.
Exactly my point. It could have easily been brushed off as caused by your sciatica if you had a confirmation online. Your pain certainly could have been from sciatica, but it wasn't. All the more reason to see a medical professional versus using the Internet.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have spoken to a few people who have had meniscus tears. They all had surgery. They told me that it does not heal without it. I am wondering why my doctor feels that rehab will be enough. It already has been six months.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.