Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My knees have started hurting when I ride and they hurt the day after I ride. The pain is around the knee cap area and it's in both knees. I read a couple of articles on the subject and learned that incorrect seat height can cause knee pain so I raised my seat seat slightly and I think it helped a bit but not enough.

I'm 33 so I'm thinking maybe this is what happens at my age.

If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

thanks

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
How long have you been riding? If not long it could be that your body is just not used the motion yet. My first guess though would be either saddle height or fore/aft adjustment.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
Have you consulted with a professional bike fitter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no i haven't, but I just started getting this pain very recently and my bike set up has been the same.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
not age related

Unless you are prone to arthritis or some genetic bone thing, I would not think your age has anything to do with it. At 33 you are just barely hitting your prime. You should be good to pretty much beat the living crap out of your body for well over 10 more years.
Your body does change thorough the years though, and what was good 5 years ago, might not be good today. I had knee pain and I had my saddle pretty high, really too high. I was rocking just a tad from side to side when I pedaled. I lowered it and most of the knee pain went away. (after my adjustment, it took a couple weeks for the pain to totally go away though, change is slow) You also have the fore and aft position to adjust.

I know a fitting would be nice but my thoughts are unless you have a lot of pain if you are not racing, a professional fitting will cost you probably in the neighborhood of $300.00, not counting the different stems or seatposts they may recommend you to buy. It's hard to say, really depends on how much you want it. I ride for fitness, have minor pain every once in a while, don't race, and would rather spend the $300.00 on wine or bike parts. this could all change but right now I'm fine. Factor in your riding. I read a lot on bike fit and ride about 100 miles a week in the winter, more in the Spring thrugh Fall.

I think it's definately related to saddle position though. I think you are supposed to have about a 25 degree bend in your leg at full pedal extension, and start with you knee cap near the pedal spindle (KOPS) you can google that.
if you are thinking of racing, definately go for the fit.

mstt said:
no i haven't, but I just started getting this pain very recently and my bike set up has been the same.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Injury and recovery

mstt said:
My knees have started hurting when I ride and they hurt the day after I ride. The pain is around the knee cap area and it's in both knees. I read a couple of articles on the subject and learned that incorrect seat height can cause knee pain so I raised my seat seat slightly and I think it helped a bit but not enough.

I'm 33 so I'm thinking maybe this is what happens at my age.

If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.
In addition to the good advice from others in this thread, you should understand that recovery is a different process from injury. Your changes in position might have put you in a spot where you would not have created your sore knees, but it might not be a position that allows you to recover, or only allows a very slow recovery from your pain. If you can find an alternate exercise for at least a few days, that may be the trick that speeds your recovery.

·
Registered
87 Posts
"Bike For Life," Wallack & Katovsky

I've been reading a really good book, "Bike For Life," by Roy M. Wallack and Bill Katovsky. I'm learning a lot about how to exercise and train.

I have problems with all of my joints, including knees. When my knees start hurting while I'm riding I shift to lower gears, which really helps. The past few days I've had to slow down a bit, not just because of my knees. I've also been having chest pains.

I've been getting more agressive with stretching and bending, and light weights. I've also become more aware of load-type exercises, so I can build up more bone density.

I know from years of experience, for me exercise is a must! Several doctors told me that they wanted to put me on disability, but I refused. I've also been told by more than one doctor to stop exercising!! Again, I chose to exercise, which has always worked for me.

The more I exercise, the better I feel in the long run.

You might want to try water aerobics. I did that for many years. I still hit the pool, but not as often as before. Now that I'm cycling everyday, I need to focus on weights, and more stretching/bending, and working on bone density exercises.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts