Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after a very hilly 35 miles my knees are hurting. The pain is around the kneecap, mainly at the top where the quad ends. I made the (apparently stupid) move of dropping my saddle before the ride a good bit. I started to feel things going south in the knee department toward the end.

I'm now at the start of my second rest day (no bike) and they're still not feeling good. I took tomorrow off specifically to do a 62 miler. The question is, do I go and do the shorter 34 route at a very easy clip to loosen things up or do I just bail altogether...

Nutz

·
Registered
27 Posts
I cannot tell you why you have pain, but I can tell you if your clip ins have too small of a platform and if you are not getting A full leg extension you will maximize possibilities of knee pains. Pain is something thats protects your body from further injury, if you can barely walk/ride or the pain is bad enough to consume your thoughts, I wouldnt ride.
In general Ice immediately, followed by hot. You can also wrap i up as well or use a neoprene brace with a knee hole in it, these work to glide the knee in its proper groove.
I have had multiple knee surgeries, I am unable to run or stand for periods of time (20min)
Whatever you do, take care of your knees!!!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I'm nowhere near not being able to walk or ride. I notice it on occasion depending on movement. If it was that bad I wouldn't be going anywhere...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Everyone's different, but FWIW my right knee had a pain until I reset the cleat so I had a few more degrees "toed out"....not drastic, but just maybe a 1/4" judging by the shoe's centerline. Seemed to take care of my knee being "locked in" and it just felt better.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Kinda sounds like you maybe just overtaxed the knees with too little extension due to a low saddle height to me. This can happened to me w/ an optimal setup if I hammer a bit too much on sprints and/or climbs on a longish ride or spin above 115-120rpm for a long period of time as well.

I'd say move the saddle back to its previous height and try to do the 62 mile route at an easy pace. If the knees are starting to feel significantly worse around 20 miles in, head back in and make sure your fit is good from a KOPS and leg angle at full extension perspective. Not sure what options you have w/ Speedplay, but moving the cleat slightly more towards the arch side of the ball of the foot seemed to help me a bit as well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm a toe down pedaler and I made the mistake of thinking I should revert to the old inseam x .883 saddle height measurement. I'm a good 1.5" higher than that normally. Brain fade on my part.

As for kops, I'm right on, which is as far forward as I can get with my current setup. I'd need a post with less setback to get any further forward.

·
Don't Tread on Me
993 Posts
SidNitzerglobin said:
Kinda sounds like you maybe just overtaxed the knees with too little extension due to a low saddle height to me. This can happened to me w/ an optimal setup if I hammer a bit too much on sprints and/or climbs on a longish ride or spin above 115-120rpm for a long period of time as well.

I'd say move the saddle back to its previous height and try to do the 62 mile route at an easy pace. If the knees are starting to feel significantly worse around 20 miles in, head back in and make sure your fit is good from a KOPS and leg angle at full extension perspective. Not sure what options you have w/ Speedplay, but moving the cleat slightly more towards the arch side of the ball of the foot seemed to help me a bit as well.

This is what was doing it for me. I was gradually increasing my cadence because it "felt" better, and before I knew it, my average cadence was never below 110.

I went to my fitter to have him re-check my bike, and when we were talking, I mentioned to him my cadence range.

He recommended staying between 85-100 and see what happened. Well, yesterday, I made it a point to keep it there, and it was amazing. Not a single inch of pain in the knee, and felt excellent after the ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts