Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably an old discussion topic but there are a lot of new people coming to the board so thought I'd revisit it and get some opinions.

I've always used Sugoi knee warmers but they are getting worn so time to replace and I got to thinking about leg warmers.

It seems like occassions where I'd wear leg warmers I'd just as soon pull on tights for the added warmth up higher on the legs. If it's cold enough for full leg warmers, I am thinking my shorts are not going to cut it on top. Knee warmers seem more versatile for those middling weather days of spring and fall.

Thoughts?

The REI warmers look nice and thick and well made and not too expensive.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
i use both. i had the leg warmers first, and used them for quite a bit (i live in the netherlands, where covering your knees is almost mandatory until late june).

i keep my knees covered whenever it's below 18-19° C.

generally it's leg warmers from late march to may, then knee warmers on & off through september, then leg warmers until november.

i'd rather have leg warmers and shorts than tights.

my a$$ has enough insulation for the cold, my legs don't. ;)

Suddha said:
This is probably an old discussion topic but there are a lot of new people coming to the board so thought I'd revisit it and get some opinions.

I've always used Sugoi knee warmers but they are getting worn so time to replace and I got to thinking about leg warmers.

It seems like occassions where I'd wear leg warmers I'd just as soon pull on tights for the added warmth up higher on the legs. If it's cold enough for full leg warmers, I am thinking my shorts are not going to cut it on top. Knee warmers seem more versatile for those middling weather days of spring and fall.

Thoughts?

The REI warmers look nice and thick and well made and not too expensive.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
I prefer knee warmers. Like you said if it is too cold to have your calves exposed might as well have on tights. Knee warmers stay up better, are easier to store, and easier to get on and off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
sugoi vs pearl

I dig so many things sugoi but I recently picked up some pearl izumi knee warmers because I lost the sugoi ones and they are SWEET - so soft and they cut the wind at just the right amount. So if you go for the knee, consider the pearls.

I'd go for knee over legwarmers in most cases because you always want to keep your knees warm to prevent injury. Meanwhile the calf can get all kinds of frigid abuse without damage.

It's worth it to invest in both. In my Pacific NW environment, I haven't reached for my leg warmers outside of cyclocross season. My main reason for using them for cyclo is that I can peel off the mud post-ride and be clean(ish) for the drive home.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
never used knee warmers...

You're right that temperatures requiring leg warmers (under 50F) generally require something warmer for shorts, so you might as well use tights. I've got by with regular shorts on some rides that started at 48 degrees, warming to 53 after an hour or so. The leg warmers were pretty toasty at 53 degrees.

I just got a pair of Descente "cold out" knickers and tried them a couple of times. I think they'll be most useful anywhere in 50's. If it hits so with these, you'll be a bit too warm. At 48 degrees, I don't like the cold on my legs. I think I'd rather be a be warm than chilly.

When it's over 55 at the start of a ride, I'd opt for regular shorts, no extra arm or knee warmers.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I use leg warmers with shorts often. It has to be really cold for me to go to tights. If it's cold enough for me to cover my knees, then I want the rest of my leg covered.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Football's right, how cheap can you be if you own two lil' lycra sleeevs that cost $30?

Below 65 F, I wear knee warmers, below 50, leg warmers, below 40, both. It rarely gets below freezing here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Below 35 degrees I like to wear shorts, tights, and knee warmers.

Above 35 but below 55 I like shorts and knee warmers.

My legs don't seem to get too cold but my arms sure do! I'll wear arm warmers when it's 65 degrees.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the sugoi knee warmers. they are really short.

I just bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Knee warmers(size Med). they are much longer and heavier. Nice fuzzy inside.

So, if you have normal length legs the Pearls are long enough to be Leg Warmers but you can call them Knee Warmers.

:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts