Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a classic forecast for the back to back centuries of TOSRV in Ohio this weekend. Basically looking at rain both days and temps in the mid 50's. Been caught in the rain plenty of times so I am all set as far as dressing for everything except my knees. Considering a couple of options and looking for experience from the other crazies that intentionally start off in the rain.

Knee Warmers - I have considered wearing knee warmers but have the concern they will get wet right away and lose their effectiveness. Will they simply hold the cold water against my knees to allow the air to super chill them? Will they get soggy and chafe and sag?

Embrocation - Apply some embrocation (www.qoleum.be) and carry the knee warmers in my pocket for use when stopped or if the rain stops. Just finished up the Borne stuff I used last winter and haven't tried the Qoleum in the rain yet. Was also thinking of applying a layer of Vaseline over the top of the Qoleum.

Other - Other advice besides being smart and staying home.

The wife and kid are all packed and ready for the family weekend of misery and cycling. Perhaps I should check the family tree for a Belgium branch.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
stay home

I am SO glad I didn't sign up for TOSRV. A friend of mine from Ohio tried to talk me into registering for it and driving up from NC. No way I am gonna ride two centuries, back to back, in cold rain. Only way I would ride even one century in that kind of weather is if I had to do it -- eg, a leg of a weeklong tour.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
Embrocation - Apply some embrocation (www.qoleum.be) and carry the knee warmers in my pocket for use when stopped or if the rain stops. Just finished up the Borne stuff I used last winter and haven't tried the Qoleum in the rain yet. Was also thinking of applying a layer of Vaseline over the top of the Qoleum.
I used to race in that kind of weather all of the time when i lived in scotland. the embrocation is the way to go. i used stuff called DEEM, which was basically parafin with some heat balm in it. smelled like root beer. we put baby oil on top of the embrocation.

the one question i have is: why do you want to ride two back to back centuries in the rain? doesn't really sound like much fun, and nobody is paying you to do it, are they? ;)

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I'll be eating the registration fee. I can ride the route anytime I want, and I don't want to ride all day in the chill rain. And I was hoping the nice weather we've had for a month would continue. THE JOKE IS ON ME! :D

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Tights, wool, shower cap, full finger gloves.

I prefer tights to leg warmers and have never tried knee-warmers. Thin, poly-propelene tights hold little water and keep my legs warmer especially if it's wet and windy. I have In-Sport tights and Nike tights and both work fine.

Wool sox, jersey and jacket add considerable warmth. I often use arm-warmers with the wool jersey to add some warmth and adjustability with a waterproof jacket on top. Wool sox make a big difference and booties if you want more. I wouldn't need a wool jacket at 55F, but ymmv.

I like to keep my head warm and a shower cap, usually taken from a hotel room, does a fine job.

Full finger gloves get a little soggier, but I hate cold hands.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.