Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been riding around town, doing different things.. in the stock 48/18 gearing, and recently my knees feel like they have had a workout.

They arnt sore, they dont hurt, but they feel .. for lack of better words "used"

is this normal? is it just getting used to riding a fixed? or is this something to worry/think about

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
tamu said:
So I have been riding around town, doing different things.. in the stock 48/18 gearing, and recently my knees feel like they have had a workout.

They arnt sore, they dont hurt, but they feel .. for lack of better words "used"

is this normal? is it just getting used to riding a fixed? or is this something to worry/think about
I think it is due to using a different set of muscles, especially when stopping. Once you get stronger you won't feel it as much.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Tamu, your knees are definitely getting worked - hell, on every ride you're now pedaling at least 20% more than you used to on your freewheel bike. Add the new demands of climbing in a taller gear and some back-pressure slowing, and your knees are taking some punishment. The good news is, after six years on a fixie, my knees have never felt stronger or more pain-free, but I also run a smaller gear than you do.

Also, just to be sure, check your cleat position (if you're clipless) or your foot/shoe/pedal relationship if you're not. If you changed any of these variables when you transferred to the new bike it could have an effect.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
After a few years of riding fixed my knees are as happy as they have ever been. The two times that I can get my knees to balk are if i try to back-pedal too much or start too hard from a stop. I run 44/17 and ride all sorts of terrains & distances. So long as I start easy from stops and use my brake my knees are Happy Knampers. :cool: :p :p :D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
same experience...

PdxMark said:
After a few years of riding fixed my knees are as happy as they have ever been. The two times that I can get my knees to balk are if i try to back-pedal too much or start too hard from a stop. I run 44/17 and ride all sorts of terrains & distances. So long as I start easy from stops and use my brake my knees are Happy Knampers. :cool: :p :p :D
have been riding fixed for a few years now and the only time I've had some mild knee pain is when I've overdone the resisting, went away when I used the brakes more, knees are nearly a half century old and gear is 49/18

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
tamu said:
Just a question.... the stock gearing on my Pista was 48/16, which is too stiff for me. What bike had stock 48/18 gearing?

·
Out of work goaltender
147 Posts
I think that giant bowery had 48-18. I've got a pista too, but love the 48-16 cause it makes it a great workout bike forcing me to go faster for weekdays when i don't have much time. For a while it was hurting my knees on hills and headwinds, but it's going away little by little.

·
Registered
499 Posts
48 / 18 is a good gear to get your legs used to fix gear on. The used feeling is from getting used to slowing down but also from the constant spin. Even if your not pushing the pedals your cadence may still be higher than youd normaly average on a road bike. Thats the origional idea of training on fixgears.

Things to consider:
- Stretch your quads and hamstrings before a ride
- make sure your seat is in the right spot. I gave myself bursitus in the winter from being mis positioned. If your riding to improove your spin make it the same size leg reach as your road bike. If your riding fix to improve your sprint in and out of saddle try running your saddle slightly lower but further back. This position is also good for guys who've had ACL damage.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Jamieshankland said:
I gave myself bursitus in the winter from being mis positioned.
Did the same thing one summer. I never would have believed that 1 cm of fore/aft seat adjustment would have the impact that it does. It's true on any bike, but seems especially critical on a fixed. I know I've preached this to death, but getting a professional fitting is money well spent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.