Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a good set of carbon clinchers. Currently using zipp 303 tubulars and enve 3.4 tubulars. I like both the 303s and 3.4s, but want to get some clinchers. I realize both Zipp and Enve offer clinchers, but wanted to try rim depth of 35. I really don't want anything deeper than 35 at this point. Of course I am looking for a relatively light set with good braking surface and little issues on cross winds. Although weight is important as I do a decent amount of climbing ( ~350,000 over 92 rides this year) I like the idea of some aero benefits, hence 35 mm rather than 28 or 25 mm rims.

Anyways, after doing some research and talking to my LBS, I came across the Knight 35 carbon clinchers. On paper, they seem like a great Wheelset. Approximately 1200 grams with Aivee RS5 hubs. I'll assume that manufacturers' claims are usually exaggerated somewhat, so maybe 1250-1300 grams. Not the lightest, but for 35 rim depth and not being tubulars, competitively light, no? I believe the owners come over from Cervelo and the other from Enve.

FYI: 5'8". 132.5 lbs (60.1 kg)

Thoughts? Since they are relatively new, I couldn't seem to find many reviews.

Ty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I own a set of Knight 35 clinchers. I also have a set of Enve 3.4 and 4.5 for comparison.

One owner is the founder of Reynolds and the other came from Enve, she was the one that brought Simon Smart on board there.

I'm essentially the same size as you too.

Long story short the Kinght wheels are my favorite. They're very light (I went with the same hubs as the Enve's though, DT Swiss) in comparison even with the same hubs and spokes as the other wheels. They're also very wide and stable. They are no doubt and unquestionably faster for climbing. I think they're more stable for descending. Crosswinds are about a zero issue on these as well. Braking is better than first gen Enve, not sure about vs. the new system though. The pads I'm using are a different approach than the Enve system and I like this one better. More dust but lower temperatures and more consistent performance when hot.

Essentially I think they're amazing. I love the width and feeling it brings. I love the low weight and feeling it brings. I run 25mm Conti GP4000SII at about 75-80 in the back and at about 60-65 in the front. It's wonderful. I have nothing bad to say about these wheels so far but I've only had them a few months now.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I don't know much about them but there is no way they are going to come in @ 1250g-1300g.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I don't know much about them but there is no way they are going to come in @ 1250g-1300g.
Which is probably good. 1250g for a somewhat deep carbon clincher would be light enough to set off alarms regarding durability.
But as ngl points out they claim 1400. The OP must have been looking at tubular weights by mistake.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I own a set of Knight 35 clinchers. I also have a set of Enve 3.4 and 4.5 for comparison.

One owner is the founder of Reynolds and the other came from Enve, she was the one that brought Simon Smart on board there.

I'm essentially the same size as you too.

Long story short the Kinght wheels are my favorite. They're very light (I went with the same hubs as the Enve's though, DT Swiss) in comparison even with the same hubs and spokes as the other wheels. They're also very wide and stable. They are no doubt and unquestionably faster for climbing. I think they're more stable for descending. Crosswinds are about a zero issue on these as well. Braking is better than first gen Enve, not sure about vs. the new system though. The pads I'm using are a different approach than the Enve system and I like this one better. More dust but lower temperatures and more consistent performance when hot.

Essentially I think they're amazing. I love the width and feeling it brings. I love the low weight and feeling it brings. I run 25mm Conti GP4000SII at about 75-80 in the back and at about 60-65 in the front. It's wonderful. I have nothing bad to say about these wheels so far but I've only had them a few months now.
Thank you for the detailed response! I am glad to hear from an actual owner, especially someone who also used the 3.4s. I was considering getting them with the Aivee RS5 hubs.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which is probably good. 1250g for a somewhat deep carbon clincher would be light enough to set off alarms regarding durability.
But as ngl points out they claim 1400. The OP must have been looking at tubular weights by mistake.
Agreed about potential durability being that light for 35 mm carbon clinchers. But I I am pretty sure I saw 1180 gms or so on their website with Aivee rs5 hubs and likely without the skewers. I thought that was unusually light too for 35 mm cc? Either way, 1400-1450 is still a pretty good weight for 35 mm cc.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Knight advertises them at 1400 grams. One reviewer weighed them at 1473 grams.
Yeah. Just saw that 1400 this AM. For whatever reason, I thought I saw sub 1200?!?! Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This is where I got the sub 1200g number from their Website: https://knightcomposites.com/product/knight-35-carbon-fibre-clincher-wheelset-variable/

And just click on "download spec sheet" and the below numbers show up for Carbon Clinchers 35:

Weight: Rim Only 890 (445/445) (g)
Weight: DT 240 : 641/763 (1404) (g)
Weight: DT 180 : 636/737 (1373) (g)
Weight: Aivee SR5 : 527/650 (1177) (g)

I called up my LBS that carries these with the Aivee SR5, and they weighed the Carbon CLINCHERS at 1250 g. I asked them why such discrepancies, and they told me that the set they have are laced with "lighter" spokes than some of the other ones that have been reviewed. And some of the reviewed Knight 35s had the heavier DT 240 combined with the "heavier" spokes...hence the 1400 g...?
The shop measured without skewers, so not sure if the other measured Knights were measured with or without skewers?

Although I am not obsessed with whether they are 1250 or 1400, I was just curious as to why the weights differed. Realistically (real world) I don't see the 150 g difference or so making much difference on the hills, except for maybe psychologically :D But as an admitted "weight weenie", I do count grams :p

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
This is where I got the sub 1200g number from their Website: https://knightcomposites.com/product/knight-35-carbon-fibre-clincher-wheelset-variable/

And just click on "download spec sheet" and the below numbers show up for Carbon Clinchers 35:

Weight: Rim Only 890 (445/445) (g)
Weight: DT 240 : 641/763 (1404) (g)
Weight: DT 180 : 636/737 (1373) (g)
Weight: Aivee SR5 : 527/650 (1177) (g)
Sr5 Rear hub 224g
front hub 87g
weights found on another website (fair wheel bikes).. so that is 1201g without spokes and rim tape and whatever else you need to build wheels.

Aimee website says 82 and 205...so that's 1177g.. but that rim and hub only I guess.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sr5 Rear hub 224g
front hub 87g
weights found on another website (fair wheel bikes).. so that is 1201g without spokes and rim tape and whatever else you need to build wheels.

Aimee website says 82 and 205...so that's 1177g.. but that rim and hub only I guess.
Thanks for doing that research. Like I alluded to originally, I am sure most if not all wheel manufacturers post the lightest configurations possible....leaving out valuable information like with or without spokes. It's interesting how you did find the numbers though to add up to 1177 :). But like you said, maybe just rim and hubs. Knowing that though and adding weight of 44 "lighter" spokes...?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts