Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
12,083 Posts
Tarheel71 said:
Got years and years of these I would like to dispose of other than stuffing them in my roll-out container to end up in the local landfill. Any ideas?
not sure the amount of rubber left on a bike tire would make it worth while? I guess you would have to get it off first before recycling. A lot of work for 50grams (or whatever the correct number is) of rubber.

· Registered
432 Posts
I do believe that tire retailers (cars) will take them gratis. Contrary to what den bakker thinks, tires are ground up and the metal is magnetically removed. What is left over can be made in to matts and things. A lot of people are coming up with ways to use the remains of tires. For too many years they have simply ended up in landfills. It's good the tarheel71 wants to do the right thing by recycling them rather than dumping them into the garbage.:cool:

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
You could pry out the kevlar and knit yourself a bulletproof vest. :D

· Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
Our county landfill has a special trailer for them, so we save them up and take them up in bunches now and again.

We have a lot of friends in the 'hood with bikes, motorcycles, excess cars, you name it, so we tend to call around any time someone's making a dump run to see if anybody has tires they need taken up. Back when a lot of us raced motorcycles, we could fill a pickup maybe twice a year. Sure were glad the dump recycled them.

Maybe your landfill has a similar program.

· Registered
830 Posts
Tarheel71 said:
Thanks all, I know years ago no one wanted to deal with old car tires, expensive to get rid of. Maybe times have changed, I'll check with a dealer I know and also the utility company.
Also check with local auto tire places. My friend who works for goodyear's commercial division (wingfoot = BIG truck tires, etc) has tossed my tires in with the ones that they shred (or at least said he did :rolleyes: ). They shred the 'cap' of the tires and sell it for a variety of uses, as indicated above.

· Registered
453 Posts
rogger said:
You could pry out the kevlar and knit yourself a bulletproof vest. :D
Different kind of Kevlar (I've checked, #29 is the good stuff, way expensive for tires), but good thought, you could, however, make a canoe (why a canoe? I don't know) or something if you've got a bunch of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.