Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried a few in Brooklyn and left empty handed. I'm willing to look at all major brands, if you know of any let me know where!

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
figure out which bike you want first.. then find deals on it. which bike do you want?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which ever gives me the best deal... A CF bike w/ atleast 105 components on it. I'm not very picky, it needs to fit, look good to my eye and comfort will come after seeing the bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i had good success with bikes direct and heard good things about neuvation.
in mt vernon near bronx line bronx river cycle works--a little edgey but have had good exerience.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
SimonChik said:
Which ever gives me the best deal... A CF bike w/ atleast 105 components on it. I'm not very picky, it needs to fit, look good to my eye and comfort will come after seeing the bike.
looks to me like you need to figure out what you want first, not all CF bikes are the same. and "at least 105" doesn't mean much.

there is different geometries amongst all bikes, different grades of carbon, different feels of carbon among the manf.

shimano 105 is good, but does that mean you're counting out sram? sram and shimano shifting is very different. figure out which you want.

do you care if the shop is $100 cheaper, but you'll have to travel 1 hour to get a simple adjustment done?

so before you go shopping for the lowest price, figure out what you want.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thinking about the Kestrel Talon, but the only place is R&A cycles and i don't think they give any price breaks. There's a shop I use for adjustments and they're really good and very low prices and I trust them with my bikes. I went from Shimano Tiagra to SRAM Force, and I love the Force. I would love to get a bike for 2500 or less with SRAM Force or Red, but I'm only limited to BikesDirect

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
R&A is a **** shop. they dont let you test ride bikes. wtf is that, right? i'd avoid that place as best as possible.

did you know that rival shifting and force shifting is the same?? force is just lighter

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might have to go with Rival. I basically want at CF bike that is similar to the Tarmac I sold... but I want a life time warranty because this new bike will probably be my main bike for a very very long time, unless I hit the lottery. So I know Trek and Specialized has good warranties, who else?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also feel that the LBSs in Brooklyn are hiding the '11 models. I don't see anything new at the stores, I will check out Verazzano Bikes tomorrow since they carry Trek. Mr C's on 6th ave was no help at all. Maybe because I'm young and they don't think I'm serious? Well that's too bad, their loss. I like BayRide Bicycle, but they don't have a great selection, 1 Giant and a few high end fuji's.

·
9,790 Posts
SimonChik said:
I also feel that the LBSs in Brooklyn are hiding the '11 models. I don't see anything new at the stores, I will check out Verazzano Bikes tomorrow since they carry Trek. Mr C's on 6th ave was no help at all. Maybe because I'm young and they don't think I'm serious? Well that's too bad, their loss. I like BayRide Bicycle, but they don't have a great selection, 1 Giant and a few high end fuji's.
Most 2011s aren't out yet. Most 2010s are sold out. Don't expect many deals this year.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It might be hard for you to find a closeout at your price point especially if you are not too short or tall. In most cases you would have to order XS or XL bikes in most shops anyway. I know this from experience.

Go to Roy's Sheepshead cycle if you have not done so. You might get lucky there and also you can test ride.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
SimonChik said:
i've been to many bklyn shops and can also say Mr C's is no good. i'd never buy anything from there. they carry old stock and the employees dont know a thing about bikes.

verrazano is a nice shop tho!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I might try to see if i can get to verrazano tomorrow after work, and also Roy's. I feel like a cripple with out a bike. I'm also looking to hear back from Bikes Direct about the Kestrel Talon w/ the Force for 2k I think That's my best bet right now...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm starting to regret the headache I caused myself by selling my bike... $1900 for an 09 Tarmac, New Schwable Ultremo Tires, Easton EA90 Aero Wheelset and SRAM force... Maybe i should have just kept it.. Oh well,

·
9,790 Posts
SimonChik said:
I'm starting to regret the headache I caused myself by selling my bike... $1900 for an 09 Tarmac, New Schwable Ultremo Tires, Easton EA90 Aero Wheelset and SRAM force... Maybe i should have just kept it.. Oh well,
Never sell your bike until you have a new bike, or at least a new bike in layaway....

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
SimonChik said:
I thinking about the Kestrel Talon, but the only place is R&A cycles and i don't think they give any price breaks. There's a shop I use for adjustments and they're really good and very low prices and I trust them with my bikes. I went from Shimano Tiagra to SRAM Force, and I love the Force. I would love to get a bike for 2500 or less with SRAM Force or Red, but I'm only limited to BikesDirect

doesnt bikesdirect do kestreL?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
SimonChik said:

the tarmac had a 105 on it, right?

·
Banned
69 Posts
i'm trying to sell my 2010 tarmac 54 cm entire ultegra groupset for $2000.
thats only if you are trying to go back to a tarmac. looks brand new only have about 700 miles on it i'm in queens.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts