Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am thinking about buying a Kona Sutra. It is a touring bike that I would use for commuting 30 miles round trip to work twice a week, maybe doing some events, and training.
I don't want or need a fast, lightweight racing bike. In fact I like the package that the Sutra comes with(steel frame, disc bracks, racks,etc.). But I have never ridden a Kona or dealt with Kona.
Are they good bikes? I'm going to spend about $1200. I have looked at the Raleigh Sojourn. It's not bad either, a little weaker on componentry.
Are Kona's cool or does anyone have a better suggestion?
I haven't totally ruled out looking at a singlespped (Salsa or Specialized Langster), but I don't know how they are for longer( 30-50 mile) rides.
It is completely flat where I live.

Thanks for your help and/or suggestions.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
My older son bought a Kona Mountain Bike. He, his large, fearless younger brother who broke the rear swing arm on a Jamis Dakar, and my wife haven't been able to hurt it much. I'm impressed with that bike and that a good local shop carried Kona for quite a few years.

Riding fixed for longer distances isn't much of a problem if you have a gear you can spin comfortably.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Kona is good

Kona makes nice bikes, and the Sutra looks like a good, sturdy, functional touring bike. Touring bikes are versitile, and It probably would serve you well, but one thought I'd have is that unless you plan to do actual loaded touring, you might not need an actual touring bike. Take a look at Kona's Kapu, or Soma Smoothie ES, Salsa Casseroll -- these are more "sport touring" models made to take wider tires, fenders, rack -- great for commuting and general-purpose riding.

As for single-speed, it's certainly an option, especially since you live in the flatlands, but check it out first. Some people love riding SS, others never really take to it. Also, it seems like most riders who have SS or fixed-gear bikes use them for certain types of riding, and also have geared bikes for other rides.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have 2 Konas - Unit (SS MTB) and Paddy Wagon (Fixed road bike). Both steel frames, both really well-made bikes as far as that price range goes. The Sutra is a quality bike - one of our customers at my old store rode the sh!t out of his and kept coming in for new brake pads etc but never for mechanical or frame issues. IMO fixed gear on a long commute is possibly easier/less stressful if its all flat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a KONA Kula (Aluminium) and a KONA Kula Primo (Scandium) both are exellent bikes. I heard a lot of good things about the KONA Zing series as well, so I wouldn't hesitate to get a Sutra if I were in the market for that type of bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts