Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone tell me about the frame...

I was looking at building up my first cross bike and just need a frame. My LBS with Kona doesn't stock one of these, but they could get one for me.

Things I'm curious about-

If you buy just the frame, does it come with a fork?

Do the tubes have a flattened out section for shouldering it?

Also, how is the handling/fit? I'm new to cross bikes and know nothing about them. How they should feel/fit relatiave to road bikes.

It will be used for light touring (about 120 miles every weekend to my girlfriend's house-- none of my road bikes have a rack mount and would like to be able to bring some stuff there and back) and I would like to be able to start cross racing at some point.

Any other suggestions for brands/frames? What I'm looking for is a race worthy frame with rack mounts.

Please save the "race-->rack" flaming. :( I'm a shaved leg, college student, [email protected]$$, roadie, racer who is trying to save money by only having to buy one bike to do 2 jobs.

7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cruzer2424 said:
Someone tell me about the frame...

I was looking at building up my first cross bike and just need a frame. My LBS with Kona doesn't stock one of these, but they could get one for me.

Things I'm curious about-

Do the tubes have a flattened out section for shouldering it?

Kona JtS? Anyone?

thanks!

· Registered
128 Posts
I've got an '05 JtS, which I love, so I'll attempt to address some of your questions.

Try to size it similar to your road bike. A standard CX bike's stem will be flipped up, to give you a more upright riding position. If mine were flipped down, the JtS would have a very similar riding position to my road bike. Even with the stem flipped down, though, it'll be less nimble than a road bike because of its longer seatstays and slacker head angle.

The nice thing about the JtS for you is that it does have rack mounts. The top tube is flattened close to the seat tube which, frankly, is kind of dumb. If you're shouldering a bike properly during a CX race, the bike will be perched on your shoulder up front, near the head tube. This keeps you more balanced and upright while running.

Not sure if it comes with a fork. You can ask your dealer, or email Kona about this. The Project 2 fork from Kona is a bit of a boat anchor, but is stiff and does have rack/fender mounts, which may be a bonus for you. Not many lighter carbon forks out there have fender mounts (Only Easton comes to mind, which has a slightly taller fork height and less rake, so the handling would be made slightly slower).

Hope this helps.

7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I went to buy the frame...

Kona is out of my size!

WEAK!

I'm probably going to end up selling one of my other bikes to get the full bike. That orange color is to die for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.