Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked and looked for good info to do a comparison of these and didn't find much. There was one very good post on this forum for the 08 Kapu, but I'm looking at the '09s.

Does anyone have info or insight into the frame materials or geometries? The Kapu is Dedacciai SAT and the Haole is Dedacciai Zero Replica. I couldn't find the weight of the complete bikes either.

I might want to ride larger tires and I think the Kapu is setup with Shimano BR 650 brakes but I don't know what the Haole has.

The pricing is confusing me also with the Kapu being lugged and having Ultegra at $2300 and the Haole with 105 at $2100.

And as a side note I emailed Kona and received a generic email telling me to check their website. I've done that and much more but still have many questions.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I haven't ridden either the 09 Kapu or Haole.

The geometry slightly changed from my 08 Kapu, so I can't offer real advice on the this year's version.

The only think I can say is that generally speaking, the Kapu has a slacker headtube angle compared to the Haole. The Kapu's are made for sportive style riding where as the Haole seems more race.

Yes, Kona's customer service often just refers people to the sight or PDF catalog.

Have you tried posting on the forum at Kona's main site? There seems to be a staff person that sometimes replies.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is actually pretty close to the meaning of haole. Not sure how they choose their names.

I got some information back from Joe at Kona. The fork on the Haole is pricey which makes up some of the difference in components and price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts