Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried using one of these for cross? I go to school in New England, which from what I hear has a good cross racing season, but I can't really spring for a new bike. The main problems I can see is that its not drilled for cantis and its got that brake bridge above the rear wheel. If I could fit some kind of cross tires on it, I've got 16, 17, 18, and 20 speed freewheels I could throw on there to get the gearing better. (currently 42X17)

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
You are right. For some reason, I was thinking about the Dew and not the Paddy Wagon (though not thinking very hard because the Dew has linear pull or discs).

The Paddy Wagon ships with 47-57mm reach calipers. (Min. reach on the Paul Racers is 59mm and on the Dia-Compes it is 62mm.) Even if the Paddy Wagon requires full use of the available reach on the stock brakes, there just isn't a lot of clearance.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
green mt. boy said:
When you raced the Steam Roller how did you rig the rear brake? Also, did you run a 120 rear hub, or did you resize the frame to fit 130/135 hubs? Thanks for any info.
The guys at the shop rigged up the rear brake with a special spacer or sommat. Can't quite remember the details. The brakes were the Nashbar long-reach calipers. Seemed to work fine. It was a 120 rear hub.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.