Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as high-quality, attractively spec'd, steel offerings go, these two bikes are my current Objects of Lust:

Kona Roadhouse (2017)
The raw steel finish and fillet brazing on the frame is simply gorgeous. The versatility and "fun-factor" is equally impressive. The price-- $3,799-- is anything but cheap but the frame quality and component package are up there with some of the best around.

Mason Resolution
The attention to detail is superb while the "4 Season" versatility means a high-performing fun ride you can push year-round without worry. The price-- $4,134 in US dollars-- isn't cheap either but the component package as a whole is on par with the Roadhouse and seems to ooze a synergy that delivers a holistic riding experience right out of the box.

Has anyone spent any decent time on one or both? I would love to get your thoughts or impressions. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
I don't but do have a very similar steel framed bike but with canti brakes. I love it. If you have riding options where a typical road bike with small tires clearance doesn't cut it they are a great type of bike to have. And with race tires are plenty capable for fast road rides.

If you intend to get adventurous I'd suggest checking out the tires clearance and making sure each frame has all you want. It looks like they are sold with 30mm or so. If that happens to be max size possible I'd suggest that's not enough if you intend to do any real off road riding.

Here's a link with some similar options: Honey Bicycles » Bikes For Men

For not much, if any, more $ you could probably get custom geometry from a custom builder by the way. Not that that have value to everyone but just throwing it out there.

·
Shuffleman
678 Posts
I have not ridden either. I have spent a lot of time looking at steel bikes to build recently. I bought the Kona Honky Tonk frame (2016 and Lime Green). I have not had time to build it yet but I am putting 6800 ultegra on it. It should be comparably spec'd to the Roadhouse when it is done.
I saw the Roadhouse at the lbs where I bought my frame. The welds are really neat looking. I'm not a steel only guy as this is going to be my 2nd bike that I take with me when I travel for work.
I have never seen the Mason bikes before but they look really nice. It looks like you have some tough decisions to make.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
It seems there are quite a few bikes similar to these coming out or already out. The Niner RLT 9 steel is my favorite; the 4 star built has nearly all the components I want without wanting an upgrade (not counting tires/saddle). The Kona is very close, although I dislike Mavic products. I'm curious to see the final specs on the Breezer Inversion coming out soon, supposedly around $2000 with ultegra components.
Hoping to sell my roadie, so I can have a bike that'll be good for multi-use: road riding, endurance rides, dirt or easy trails, and bike packing. Decisions decisions!

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Apologies for dredging up a slightly old thread, but will have pics of the Roadhouse soon! It's a gorgeous frameset, and I'm building it up similar to how it is stocked, save better wheels, brakes, and saddle. All parts are in, and final assembly will happen this weekend hopefully. All in all, it's going to set me back just shy of $3k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Peanya- sounds like you have a fun weekend ahead of you... I'm jealous! I would love to learn the specs of your set-up and see some post-build pics. More importantly, let us know how it rides once you get a chance to take it out. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Indeed sounds like you have a wonderful weekend ahead of you. I cant wait to see pictures of your build, in my opinion the Roadhouse is one of the best looking frames out there.

SS-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts