Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace my DeVinci Sydney Hybrid (Canadian bike, aluminum compact frame, carbon fork, flat bar, V brakes). I'm extending my regular commute to do longer rides (up to about 45 km), so I'm thinking that a road bar would be more comfortable. I also live half way up a mountain, so the morning descent can get a bit exciting in the winter rain. The V brakes on the DeVinci squeal badly and the road grit in the winter wears out the rims fast (10 months), so I'm thinking that disc brakes would be a good thing.

I'm looking at the Kona Sutra, the Trek Portland and the Schwinn Super Sport. I've taken the Kona out for a ride, its got a steel frame and feels good, but it's a few pounds more than the others. I'm going to try out the Trek this weekend (they sell it at my LBS, which is a plus). The Schwinn doesn't have as good a spec as the others, but got good reviews in Bicycling magazine, so I figure I should give it a try (if I can find one).

Anybody have any comments on any of these? Also, any comments on the Avid BB7 disc brakes (on all of the bikes)? I've read recently about the brake pads squealing on these too.

All input gratefully received.

· On your left!
1,301 Posts
Simply based on names...

Kona Sutra, I'm getting a headache already imagining the ribbing and all the explaining you have to do.

Trek Portland, I love Trek, don't get me wrong, but who will get excited to see another Trek on the road. And Portland, why Portland?

Schwinn SuperSport, Ah the Glory Days...how many of us 40+'ers didn't ride one of those back in the day. The wind in our hair, the mystique of graduating from a bmx to a road bike...lots of fond memories.

For name style, I vote Schwinn.

Sorry not more help, it's Friday afternoon and I'm simply trying to stay awake...And you did say All input would be appreciated...

· Registered
47 Posts
I'm not sure what to tell you on the bikes except to give them all a swirl before you decide. Steel rides nice, but do you really want to lug around all that weight? If I had the cash, I'd seriously consider dumping my heavy old steel commuter.

As far as the Avid BB7 disks, I have a set on my MTB, and they're first rate. I've not had any problems with squeeling, they're easy to adjust, and I find the stopping power quite good for me at 185 pounds flying down the trail on my MTB.

I think I'm in the same boat as racerx. It's Friday. I have a desk full of work to do, and my brain is fried. :sleep:

· Registered
168 Posts
I ride a Schwinn Fastback Sport, which is the entry-level bike, but the geometry for the SuperSport is the same, I believe. I like my bike, but I think a steel frame would be more comfortable. However, the Schwinns come with carbon forks, now. Not sure how that would affect the ride except to make it better. I agree about the discs in rainy winter weather. I think I would pick the Schwinn, if it were me, but I would also want to broaden my options, as there are many bikes with steel frames that would out-shine it.

· Registered
59 Posts
I'd consider the Sutra

I've got one, love it. Yeah the name is a bit funky, but fun. The one upgrade I did to the Sutra is adding Salsa bar top cross levers. The BB5 Road discs take a bit of breaking in, but once they are, they stop on a dime. It's heavier than aluminum for sure, but the ride is sweet, and I'm a clyde at 200 lbs so I don't mind the weight so much. I find my aluminum mountain bike to feel too stiff and a bit dead in comparision. I went with bigger, semi mountain tires on the Sutra so it does double duty now as commuter, tourer and MTB. You can fit up to a 700c by 44 29er tire on it with no problems other than a bit of toe overlap on the front. The other advantage to the Sutra is the ability to make it a single speed fairly easily (if you decide to be a complete freak like me) the Sutra has sliding dropouts.
Just my humble opinion.

· Registered
86 Posts
Trek Portland

I cannot tell you about any of the other bikes but I purchased a Portland a little over a month ago. I live in Seattle which rains constantly so the aluminum frame and the Disc brakes make it ideal. I ride about 130 miles a week commuting so iinstalled a rear rack for paniers and a carbon seatpost as well as carbon handlebar. I am pleasently surprised with the quality of the ride. The bike comes with a 12x27 rear cog which is nicer for climbing. I still have the original tires but my friends that work at LBs say that they suck and that I should swap them out at some point. If i have a complaint it would be the Cranks. They have one bolt attaching them to the BB. Mine have come undone in the middle of a 30 mile ride. (Pissed me off) I was told to keep an eye on the bolt becasue the bolt loosen up sometimes due to the design. If you have any other questions let me know. Not sure if this is relevant but I am 6' 3" 265lbs Since Portland has similar weather to Seatttle and is a huge outdoor city with large commuting population is why Trek chose that name Portland

Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.