Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will using Kool Stop salmon brake pads keep my rims from getting so nasty dirty after riding in the rain? My commuter bike has Shimano R550 canti brakes, which work great in the rain. However, my rims are nearly black after rain rides, presumably from the black brake shoes.

Also, does anyone here know what size/style Kool Stop pads would fit Shimano R550 cantis?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
the salmon pads work great, but they won't keep your wheels from getting dirty in wet weather. all that grit will show up anyway, as a good percentage of it is road grit and rim material. you could use any color pad you want, but you'll still get grey/black crap on your wheels when you ride in the rain.
those brakes use standard v-brake pad inserts. they're great brakes for low $$$, and the kool stop pads work really well.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
However, my rims are nearly black after rain rides, presumably from the black brake shoes.
Not so. That black stuff is mostly aluminum powder, ground off your rims.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too bad. I probably will try some Kool Stops sooner or later, but might as well wait until I wear out my Shimano pads if they aren't any cleaner.

·
Registered
505 Posts
kool stops will stop better and chew you rims less. imho, it is well worth the $15 to switch now. every single rim brake bicycle i own (and there are many) is wearing KS salmon.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Same as above. I run Kool Stop Thinline Dual-Compound (salmon & black) pads on my Avid SD 7's on my custom hybrid. And Kool Stop salmon Eagle 2 pads on my red Modolo Speedy brakes on my vintage Puch A-D with ceramic Open Pro Mavic rims. They both work like a charm.

I had been running Scott Mathauser, which became Kool Stops, but removed them as they are still in perfect condition. And quite rare these days. So they are living in my personal Bicycling History museum.

Go for the Kool Stop pad of your choice. They are the best available. Here are the Scott SUPERBRAKE (Mathauser) from 1982. These are the historic roots of today's salmon-compound found in Kool Stop pads. Note the beveled rectangular spacers on the posts:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
The gunk is going to be there no matter what pads you use. I also like the Kool Stops, but I have the combo half black/half salmon pads.

After riding in foul weather, I've found the easiest way to clean braking surfaces is to:
1. spray a Scotch Green Scrubby with Simple Green and rub the braking surfaces. The gunk will come off very easily.
2. Wipe dry with a clean rag.

I can do it in less than 5 min. without removing the wheels from the bike.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
Will using Kool Stop salmon brake pads keep my rims from getting so nasty dirty after riding in the rain? My commuter bike has Shimano R550 canti brakes, which work great in the rain. However, my rims are nearly black after rain rides, presumably from the black brake shoes.

Also, does anyone here know what size/style Kool Stop pads would fit Shimano R550 cantis?
I believe any of the threaded shoes on this page will fit.
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html
Mountain Salmon, Dual Compound Mountain, Thinline threaded, Thinline Dual Compound threaded, Supra 2, and Eagle 2.

It looks like the Dual Compund Mountain is the best choice.

I'm in the market for the same thing.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Scott Mathauser Pads

I still run Scott Mathauser Pads in my vintage Campy Record Brake Shoes.
Will switch to Kool Stop Salmon IF these ever wear out.
The salmon pads don't cause less rim dirt/grime/rim material, but you can see when the light colored pads get dirty, and I wipe them off with a rag soaked in Gumout.

View attachment 161047 View attachment 161048 View attachment 161049

John

·
Registered
832 Posts
Another bike-mechanic turned me on to a trick regarding solvents: Charcoal Lighter Fluid. It's nowhere as toxic (or stoning if the window's closed) as the toluene in Gumout. It's a straight chain aliphatic hydrocarbon, a mixture of such things as octane, hexane, heptane - quite similar to gasoline. But nowhere are flammable or explosive. It's dirt-cheap, after all you buy it to burn, and it's as effective as toluene - the solvent in Gumout.

It's what I use nowadays. It does an excellent job and evaporate without a notable residue left behind.

Give it a shout.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
IME, dont buy black-salmon half-half pads. I tried them for ~6 months and they were no better than (cheaper) DuraAce pads. which is to say i am not happy with either one of them. i might try a full 100% salmon next. i also heard swiss stop may be better than kool stop salmon but i dont know what colour is swiss stop is the most grippy.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've been quite pleased with the Thinline Dual-Compound (black & salmon) Kool Stop pads I have on my custom-hybrid. The trick is finding the proper toe-in angle for your rims.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
I run full salmon pads up front and half salmon pads on the rear unless it's on my Campy differential brakes (dual pivot front single pivot rear). This way I get slightly less braking power on the rear brake and more power from the front. Part of the reason for doing this is that Kool Stop sells kits where you buy one set of brake pad holders and it comes with two sets of pads, one full salmon and one half salmon. Buying two sets of holders gives you a spare set of pads so why not run it the way I mentioned above and have a second set waiting to be installed when the first set wears out?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
acid_rider said:
how long do the full salmon pads last, on aluminium rims, assuming 90%-95% of riding is on dry roads? approx distance?

This is not something that I normally track - but - I put a set on at the beginning of the season last year and after 5k miles, they are still doing fine...HTH

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
acid_rider said:
how long do the full salmon pads last, on aluminium rims, assuming 90%-95% of riding is on dry roads? approx distance?

Years. Seriously. 10,000 miles or more, IME.

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
Will using Kool Stop salmon brake pads keep my rims from getting so nasty dirty after riding in the rain?
Could be the rim, too. I've had TERRIBLE experiences IRD Cadence and Easton rims. Both were older models than what are currently on offer, but I have no idea if they've changed (or not). I returned after one ride in the rain COVERED in aluminum shavings from brand-new Cadence rims; they got tossed, and I went back to Open Pros. The other was was my right-hand man's Eastons, which left me with road grime, to be sure, but also plenty of aluminum shards, etc., in my teeth, etc., after drafting him for too long (also on a very wet day).

So, yeah, as others have said: it might not be just the pads, and is probably lots of road grime, too. But it could also be je ne c'est quois on (or in the alloy of) your rims.

·
Registered
505 Posts
my KS salmon experience includes ~5k (so far) on a set of kinlin Nb 30mm rims, which IRD rebrands as cadence aero. you can still see the machining marks in the braking surface, so i'd say wear is trivial. improved rim material or the KS pads? i dunno...

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Better question

acid_rider said:
Instead, you should ask "How long is a piece of string?"

To your question, wouldn't that depend EXTREMELY heavily on things like how often you have to stop, and how heavy you are? Where I live, we can be in rural countryside pretty quickly, and you hardly ever have to use the brakes if you are a heads-up rider. I just replaced some brake pads after rougly 100,000 miles. If I lived where I had to do heavy braking at the bottom of every hill, maybe I would only get 10,000 miles from a set of pads, maybe less. How's that for a range. It does answer your question, doesn't it?

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
dookie said:
kool stops will stop better and chew you rims less. imho, it is well worth the $15 to switch now. every single rim brake bicycle i own (and there are many) is wearing KS salmon.
So you ride them in the dry too then I take it? so how are they when it isnt raining?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts