Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my pads soon and I've read a lot about Koolstops here. Everyone seems to like the salmon ones so I was thinking of getting these but all of my riding is in dry conditions (unless I get caught in the rain) so I'm wondering if I should get the black ones or even the dual compound (black/salmon) ones. Also, what's wrong with the Shimano brake pads (I have Ultegra 6500 calipers)? What about Jagwires? Or Swissstops?

Just wonderin'...

· Registered
202 Posts
plus 1

I have dual compound on my beater bike and will change them to salmon when they wear out. I have salmon on all of my other bikes.

TT

· Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
I run Kool Stop salmon pads on my 'Nag and my commuter. I run full salmons on the front brakes of both bikes but I run the half salmon half black pads on rear of the commuter and the stock Campy rear pads on the 'Nag.

The Kool Stop black pads don't seem to be any better than the stock pads of any manufacturer. The half salmon pads work slightly better than the black pads in the dry but are better in the wet. The salmon pads work really well, wet or dry. Wet, they work about as well as the black pads do dry. I wouldn't waste my time with anything other than the salmon pads. The half black pads aren't bad, neither, but why bother when the full salmon ones work so much better? I'm eventually going to upgrade all of the brakes on all of my bikes to full salmon pads except on my disk braked FS mountain bike which cannot use them.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I have the dual compound. They work better than the original Campy Record pads. I've only used them for about a month, but I'm satisfied. Lots of folks are recommending the salmon pads, so I may try them next time. My brake pads tend to last for years though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.