Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a question for Peter P. or Mike T. or others I think who are using Kreitler rollers.

Is there any maintenance and/or lubrication that should be performed on the fan unit? I get quite a bit of noise from it and I detect a slight off-center wobble. Recently I have had a couple of the belts to the fan snap on me. Course, my Killer Headwind is probably almost 30 years old.

So, if there is any procedure to quiet the unit or prolong its life, I would be interested in performing it.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I'll hazard a guess and suspect the Killer Headwind bearings are going.

They're likely sealed cartridge bearings. If you can see the face of the bearing, you'll be able to read a designation such as "RS 6201" which will indicate the replacement bearing to purchase. That is, if it's possible for the consumer to remove and press in a new bearing.

As one alternative, you can pry off that outside seal and add grease. The seal is usually rubber with a thin metal shim attached so pry carefully so as not to bend the metal portion.

Or, see if Kreitler rebuilds Killer Headwind fan units. Otherwise, it will probably be easier to just buy a replacement.

FYI, that wobble is a known problem with the Killer Headwind, and a contributor to the noise.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peter, I disassembled the unit but did not get too far. The axle is secured between the pulley on the outside for the belt positions and inside where the hamster wheel is. Outside is a socket screw and inside is a nut. Didn't seem to want to budge so I even wonder if it might be reverse threaded. I will have to ask Kreitler.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Managed to disassemble the Killer Headwind unit (it is "righty-tighty"). There are two(2) 1614ZZ sealed bearing cartridges. They were marked 1614Z but actually are the 1614ZZ as both sides are sealed. I am not sure if these will silence the squeaks and noise the fan makes as these units are notorious for wobbling around their axis, but for $6.50 I thought it worth a shot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts