Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a set of Kreitler Challenger rollers with Killer Headwind for almost 40 years. Recently I have seen all the DIY projects for EMotion-style freeform carriages.

None of these projects seem to account for the Kreitler Killer Headwind unit and I guess that makes sense given that the fan would have to also be sliding back and forth. I would want to still make use of the resistance fan and also occasionally the Kreitler Fork Stand for 1-leg training, so I guess these EMotion DIY projects will not work for me.

Seems like with the actual Inside Ride rollers and all these DIY projects that riders have moved back to riding rollers without fan resistance units, back where I would have started from.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Can't you dream up some form of support for the Killer Headwind unit? Something that's part of the moving e-motion chassis?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess you could, but that would certainly add to the length of the sub-frame structure that needs to move. I also have the Kreitler Fork Stand that I like to use occasionally for 1-leg training.

My other point was that it seems these new-style roller setups take us all back to no fan and no resistance. I recall those days being great for the spin but a sweatfest.

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you are open for a different resistance, you could consider magnetic. I suspect there is a way to mod your own from scratch or re-purpose one like I did.

Here is my project:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/chader/albums/72157650453016490

The CycleOps roller resistance unit is a near perfect fit for the Nashbar rollers. I modded further by converting the simple wheel into cable actuated motion with an MTB shifter that I can reach while riding.

I still use my KK Road Machine and CycleOps PowerBeam Pro for specific workouts. But for long workouts and spin sessions that I want to stand frequently, the motion rollers are above all others.

I can't recommend a motion roller setup enough.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice. I am partial to those like you have done with the chassis and subframe. If I were to make both of those pieces longer, I could drop in my Kreitlers with the Killer Headwind attached. Curious about what hardware you are using up against the angle iron? Also, how do you decide what is the correct effect limit of forward and back travel. Looks like you have stops. Some others I have seen used pvc piping cut in half lengthwise for the tracks for the wheels.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, missed your questions.

The silver parts on the sides are rollers that can ride against the angles. I started without anything and the sled would drift to our end side. The PVC sounds like a good plan.

The stops are a limit to prevent the sled from coming off the platform. They are far out in the travel, so I don't hit them at all.

I did a bit of trial and error to get the travel and spring resistance to what felt good. You need enough to pull you to center, but not so much that it acts like a stationary mount.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Chader09. Very helpful. Looks like you use 6 rollerblade wheels in the chassis and 4 of these silver guide wheels emanating from the chassis and up against the angle iron. Can you be more specific about what these silver rollers are and their size? thx

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thanks, Chader09. Very helpful. Looks like you use 6 rollerblade wheels in the chassis and 4 of these silver guide wheels emanating from the chassis and up against the angle iron. Can you be more specific about what these silver rollers are and their size? thx
Not sure on size since I am out of town, but this is essentially what I got.
5/8 in. Roller Ball Bearing

1 in. Roller Ball Bearing

Yes, 6 Rollerblade wheels (3 per side).

·
Registered
647 Posts
I added some plastic between the rollers and angles to make it quiet. I do get a bit of a vibration from the rollers when I get about 30+ mph, but it's only then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts