Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Great White North
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a friend of mine picked up a Scott CR-1 with a set of Mavic Kryserium wheels. Beauty of a bike, but he's had repeated problem with the wheels coming out of tension. The first time, the rear got far enough out to rub the chainstay. The shop retensioned the wheels, but they have needed retensioning since, given about 100 miles or so of use.

Are there any issues out there with these wheels, reports of bad batches, or generally regarded weight limits? The rider in question is about 205, so not super heavy, and he's been sticking to the road with the new ride, no woods shortcuts..

Thanks.

Plum

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Sorry, but I've got to make fun of everyone for Krsyrium / Kryserium / Ksdiosetaknbfdd wheels. Ksyriums are admittedly the toughest wheelset on the market to spell!

For a bike rider, 205 pounds IS pretty heavy. I'll bet he's running 23mm wide tyres, too. Anything with "superlight" in the name, made to be light enough to compete for the lightweight racing wheel market ... know what I'm saying?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I know a couple guys in that weight range who have ridden them for a while with no problems. I hope some more people respond to this and say shouldn't be an issue because i just bought a new ride equipped with them and I'm just about 205 on the money.............please.........someone?

·
Registered
583 Posts
2Fast2Furryious said:
RoadBikeReview.com

maybe look in the review section or use the magic search feature to surf teh internets

Lots of good reviews from heavy riders on this site is what drove me to chose mine...

I'm sure Plum is sorry to have wasted so much of your precious time, you think you're going to be ok?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
652 Posts
putting those words in boldface has worn me out, i may have to seek out more of grandpappy's cough medicine.

i recommended the review because no one ever seems to read them, or the one billion other threads about "Ksyriums: Able to Withstand Nuclear Holocaust??!?" posted here. seriously, this stuff is archived for a reason.

btw, john connor rides on ksyriums ;)

·
Registered
652 Posts
When SkyNet became self-aware and began its cybernetic decimation of the human race, John Connor hacked into the network and learned the truth about the indestructable properties of mavic ksryium wheels. It's true, because I wrote it on teh internets.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
meathead said:
I know a couple guys in that weight range who have ridden them for a while with no problems. I hope some more people respond to this and say shouldn't be an issue because i just bought a new ride equipped with them and I'm just about 205 on the money.............please.........someone?
Some people are harder on equipment than others. Still... I'd sell them as new and get something you won't have to worry about... unless you like to worry...?

·
Registered
583 Posts
rruff said:
Some people are harder on equipment than others. Still... I'd sell them as new and get something you won't have to worry about... unless you like to worry...?
From what pretty much everyone else...in the entire world...says, the ksyriums ARE the wheels to get if you don't want to worry. You think differently? Have any reasoning?

John Connor regularly does a 72.6 mile route on streets that are primarily cobbled with human sculls and his are true as the day he bought them in 2005.He has been riding them for well over 20 years. The only person I know of who has had to true their ksyriums is Chuck Norris who, after years of shaving by punching himself in the face (the only thing that could cut chuck used to be chuck ) decided to try to use his ksyriums to shave. They worked, but apperantly his computer magnet pulled the spoke it was on loose (due to the high steel and iron content of chuck's facial hair).

·
wut?
14,624 Posts
meathead said:
From what pretty much everyone else...in the entire world...says, the ksyriums ARE the wheels to get if you don't want to worry. You think differently? Have any reasoning?

John Connor regularly does a 72.6 mile route on streets that are primarily cobbled with human sculls and his are true as the day he bought them in 2005.He has been riding them for well over 20 years. The only person I know of who has had to true their ksyriums is Chuck Norris who, after years of shaving by punching himself in the face (the only thing that could cut chuck used to be chuck ) decided to try to use his ksyriums to shave. They worked, but apperantly his computer magnet pulled the spoke it was on loose (due to the high steel and iron content of chuck's facial hair).
I remember that. He shaved off his beard only to discover another first behind it.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I've ridden two sets pretty hard at weights from 230-250, and they have been wonderful. First set I got about 7k miles before the rear needed truing. I bought a second set for another bike, and have about 3k on them thus far, and they are still solid.

Saying all that, I'm thinking about switching to 36 spoke wheels. Just have a feeling that it's the best thing to do above 200 pounds.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I know several Clydes who ride them with no issues

I haven't, mainly because I like to be able to do my own wrenching. I have leaned toward handbuilts, mainly as I can replace a spoke if I have an issue. With the Ksyriums, you have to take them to a shop (and they likely have to send them out).

That being said, they LOOK really cool. (and I hear my riding buddy coming up from behind me!).

Seriously, if you already have them I say ride them. I have seen some REALLY big guys riding them, and we know from the reviews they are strong. If you want to sell them, then look at a good set of handbuilts. Cost you less, and frankly you wouldn't be worrying about this issue. I have a set of Velocity Aerohead/DT Swiss 240s/32h that are all black and look sweet. OK, not as sweet as Ksyriums, but then I am not worried about them breaking on me!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.