Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought the front wheel to replace the bontrager race lite (bladed too) and match the rear wheel this past winter.

this is the 3rd time this year a strong crosswind has almost blew the bike out from underneath me..
:mad2:

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
hmm

bas said:
bought the front wheel to replace the bontrager race lite (bladed too) and match the rear wheel this past winter.

this is the 3rd time this year a strong crosswind has almost blew the bike out from underneath me..
I've used Ksyriums since 1999, and never had a problem, including multiple rides in the Mohave Desert with super high winds and speeds over 60 mph. But, then again, I also rode my Cervelo P2C with disk and Zipp 808 through the Mohave Desert to Death Valley last fall, including some incredible winds, and just had a few issues with wind knocking me a bit sideways. Rode a 10 mile TT a few weeks ago on the same set up, and everyone there was questioning my sanity, given the high wind. But, I was ok, and also clocked the fastest time (not exactly a Cat 1 field, though).

Could there be something about the bike/rider combination that makes crosswinds worse for some that others?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Fixed said:
Could there be something about the bike/rider combination that makes crosswinds worse for some that others?
So much of cycling is mental. If you THINK it's lighter, faster, more aero, snappier, stiffer, more supple greener, softer, harder or it will make you recover faster, then it probably will.

You don't think a disk and high profile rims make much difference in a crosswind, so they don't.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
great!

android said:
So much of cycling is mental. If you THINK it's lighter, faster, more aero, snappier, stiffer, more supple greener, softer, harder or it will make you recover faster, then it probably will.

You don't think a disk and high profile rims make much difference in a crosswind, so they don't.
So, next time trial, I'll THINK my AT is 350 watts and destroy the competition?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,916 Posts
bas said:

c'mon now...you really think it's the spokes that caused this to happen?

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
while i did feel the difference with my ksyrium sls when i first started riding them, it wasn't a big deal getting used to how they react to X-winds.

fwiw - i live in the Netherlands. It gets windy here.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I have a couple sets of Ks, and I realize when I get blown to the side, it's probably because of my much much bigger body profile than it is of the bladed spokes. I see the phenomena with regular bladed spokes too, so there's my "proof" :D

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
BAS, I think those wheels are dangerous.

I've set up a program to help the owners of any Mavic wheel, grade Ksyrium SL or above, to recover some of the money they paid for thier wheels. Similar to a crash replacement policy, my group will pay you $50 for any excellent to mint condition Mavic wheel, grade Ksyrium SL or above, that you ship to me.

Please pm me for more details...

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
capt_phun said:
Those wheels are not aero & even the profile is not alot of exposure to the wind. I raced on Carbones & even those were not hard to control in a crosswind.
The wind is probably blowing against an upright body more than the wheels, or maybe against an extra-large midsection?!
come one..

the bike's front wheel was being swept out from underneath me and i was leaning right heading down till i countered.

i would have been going left too with the bike..

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
dangerous?

brujenn said:

I've set up a program to help the owners of any Mavic wheel, grade Ksyrium SL or above, to recover some of the money they paid for thier wheels. Similar to a crash replacement policy, my group will pay you $50 for any excellent to mint condition Mavic wheel, grade Ksyrium SL or above, that you ship to me.

So, you actually get people to sell you their $1000 set of wheels, plus ship them to you, for $100? Heck, I'd be happy to buy a $1000 set of wheels in excellent condition for $100, too. In fact, I'd do it for Zipp and Campy wheels as well.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fixed said:
So, you actually get people to sell you their $1000 set of wheels, plus ship them to you, for $100? Heck, I'd be happy to buy a $1000 set of wheels in excellent condition for $100, too. In fact, I'd do it for Zipp and Campy wheels as well.
Hmm, I only paid ~$700.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
bas said:
come one..

the bike's front wheel was being swept out from underneath me and i was leaning right heading down till i countered.

i would have been going left too with the bike..
It's all perception Bas, obviously they pull enough in crosswinds to irritate you and for others the pull isn't strong enough to provoke concern. There's nothing inherently dangerous w/ bladed spokes but they do catch crosswinds more.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
That's not sarcasm

brujenn said:

I think he has an active imagination, and lives in the land of "Wouldn't it be nice if...."

·
Registered
104 Posts
major thread drift

c'mon guys... there are enough people racing ksyriums to have a value add post instead of...

personally, I've raced the tubular variety primarily for cyclocross and have been very happy with them. I did one road race on the same set of wheels and though they were a bit stiff for the 20 miles of un-paved roads. Are these wheels not common enough in all classes of racing all around the country (world even?) to say they have race proven qualities?

:rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.