Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current wheels ( Bontrager Race)weigh 1910grms so I want to upgrade and I know there are more to wheels then weight. But I see the Elites( 1550gm) for a good price but the SL's(1485gms) are mostly sold out and/or being offered for full price of $900 to 1000....I don't ride all that much but i like nice stuff and was wondering if i should be happy with the Elites? From what I read the SL's are a standard that everyone loves...is the new Elite worth getting now, or wait for the SL's? These will go on a Gary Fisher Carbon Cronus with 25c tires.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
hikertoo said:
From what I read the SL's are a standard that everyone loves.
It depends on who you read. Myself, I'd save some coin and get some lighter hoops.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marc said:
It depends on who you read. Myself, I'd save some coin and get some lighter hoops.
The Elites? Or something else?

·
Sucker for carbon
266 Posts
You save only 65g with the SL's. I don't think the SL's are much stiffer either, and both use identical rims. Plus you can't go wrong with traditional stainless spokes... I'd get the Elites if these are the only two wheelsets you're considering.

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
Or for bombproof wheels the Shimano WH 7850 C24 CL clinchers at under 1400g and around $700 total on eBay. Hard to find better hubs than the D-A's and the entire build is very good on these wheels.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw that site

Mike T. said:
Ya didn't do much of your reading on this forum then. Try these and these for less weight and less money. A rare combo.

And actually had a couple wheel sets in my wish cart...but are they house brands of that company?

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
DA7850SL for 650ish... you won't regret the extra $150 over the elites. titanium hubs, durable, light, good bling, japan makes good stuff!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UST OK with clinchers too I guess?

skyliner1004 said:
DA7850SL for 650ish... you won't regret the extra $150 over the elites. titanium hubs, durable, light, good bling, japan makes good stuff!
Although many places are selling these closer to $900, still looking though

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
austinkicksass said:
you can get the shimano wh-rs80 which are only 460.00 shipped from chainreaction and they use the dura ace rims.
where'd you read that they use the DA rims?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
$460 for Shimano WH-RS80?

austinkicksass said:
you can get the shimano wh-rs80 which are only 460.00 shipped from chainreaction and they use the dura ace rims.
which "chainreaction"? This site does not carry Shimano wheels
http://www.chainreaction.com/

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ended up ordering the Shimano WH-RS80's from BikeBling.com ( thanks for the suggestion) seems to be a nice solid package at a "reasonable" price and weight...wheels to be proud of, and I save 14oz of moving mass.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sticking to your two options, go with Elites

However, if you are going for looks and you are opting for the red hub and one red spoke get the SL. In that case get what you want or else you'll keep wondering what if. If color is not a factor, the black SL looks like the Elites, so why pay more for a wheel that uses the same rim. Spokes and machined hubs also look the same.

Weight is negligible unless you are time trialing up a hill and precious milliseconds count. If you are looking for a lighter wheel, there are other options as much as 100+ grams lighter for the price of the Elites. i.e. Personally, I like Rolf Elans @ 1345 grams. Average price used is under $500.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts