Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I weigh 150lbs. I put a lot of miles on my bike, commuting/training/racing. I recently built up a new carbon bike, but still have my old Shimano 105 wheels that weigh 1900+ grams, and im getting tired of truing Shimano wheels.

I don't have enough money to have an every day wheelset and a race set. I need to decide between these two sets...

Easton Orion II - made by Velomax?, ~8k miles, used by a shop mechanic, ~1477g (list).

Mavic Ksyrium Elite - brand new (OEM wheels off an Addict), also comes with Hutchinson tires (kinda crappy) and tubes, look sweet on my bike, ~1690g (list)

I am being offered either wheelset at the same price of $300. My dilemna is go with the much lighter wheelset but it has a lot of miles on it, or go with the heavier set, get stronger with them and have them last a lot longer. My other concern is I rode SL's but on an Aluminum bike, and they were way too stiff for me, I dont even put out a load of power. I almost want to go with the Eastons just cus they are almost 200g lighter, but I also don't know if I want such an old wheelset when I am being offered a brand new one for the same price.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My LBS swears by Easton and I trust him. I have no experience with either model, but would go with the lighter model because you're a lighter guy; research says lighter riders on heavier wheels equates to feeling the road much more. Don't remember where I read the article, but it was here on this forum I believe. If it means anything to you I think my LBS owner has a set of Eastons with an incredible amount of miles on them and they still run true.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Easton Orion II's all the way. If they haven't been abused, you won't be disappointed.

I've put over 4K on my set, and they look and feel brand new. I've never had to true them. The hubs, in particular, are excellent. They roll great, resistant to the elements, and maintenance free (except for the occassional cleaning and re-lube of the freewheel pawls) The rims are just Velocity Aerohead rims, so there's nothing special (or bad about them). The only thing you may want to consider is replacing the bearings.

If you have to call the Easton wheel shop, you'll get someone on the phone who actually knows what the hell they're talking about. I ordered a campy freehub from them (switching from shimano) a while back, and the service was excellent.

The only advantage the Elite's have over the Orion II's is they have a welded and milled brake track, which the Orion II's lack.

I'm looking for a set of carbon tubulars now, and Easton's are definitely on the list. I just wish they had something to bridge between the EC90 SLX (25mm rim) and the EC90 Aero (56mm rim)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I'd also go with the Easton Orion II. Mavic has lousy customer service to the consumer, none. Even if somewhere down the road you'll have to respoke he Easton Orion II you'll still have a better set of wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.