Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these are beneth most, but I am trying to decide between these 2 wheel sets. I put all my money in my DH. I am a CAT 4. As my Dad told me, the pilot can make a difference. I am currently riding Mavic CXP21 w/ ultegra hubs. Heavy, but stay true.

David
 

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
Joined
·
7,158 Posts
spoke replacement!

DavidGrip said:
I know these are beneth most, but I am trying to decide between these 2 wheel sets. I put all my money in my DH. I am a CAT 4. As my Dad told me, the pilot can make a difference. I am currently riding Mavic CXP21 w/ ultegra hubs. Heavy, but stay true.

David

Both of those wheelsets have annoying spokes that have to be replaced... and for a pretty... midrange wheelset, paying 6 bucks a spoke or whatever it is plus labor is kinda ridiculous.

Get another set of those mavic/ultegra wheels!
 

·
Resident Dutchbag
Joined
·
11,864 Posts
If your choice is between those two, get the Mavics. You won't have to worry about spare spokes as much as you would with the Shimanos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,524 Posts
Good choices

DavidGrip said:
What is a decent wheel set for $300-$400?
In that price range you can get a great set of wheels build on Record, Chorus, or DA hubs with Velocity, DT, or MAVIC rims and have durability, performance, weight, and "everything but bling." The wheels you're looking at have no performance advantages over the above, and probably the hubs wouldn't be as good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
I have been riding the Shimano 550s for almost 500 miles now, and I really wish they were a little nicer... They don't seem to roll very fast... My 10 year old Campy Athena Hubs are faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,524 Posts
Rolling, rolling, rolling

Sprocket - Matt said:
I have been riding the Shimano 550s for almost 500 miles now, and I really wish they were a little nicer... They don't seem to roll very fast... My 10 year old Campy Athena Hubs are faster.
Unless you can feel a lot of friction in the hub bearings when you turn them by hand, it is not the hubs that are making this difference. For that matter, unless you have done repeat time trials with both sets of wheels (using the same tires at the same pressure on both) then you really have no data to support this statement.
 

·
Cat 6 rider
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Unless you can feel a lot of friction in the hub bearings when you turn them by hand, it is not the hubs that are making this difference. For that matter, unless you have done repeat time trials with both sets of wheels (using the same tires at the same pressure on both) then you really have no data to support this statement.
I think Sprocket - Matt was just going by feel. But you’re right, his opinion is just that. And if you want to parse it he didn’t say the Shimanos don’t roll as fast. He said they don’t _seem_ to roll as fast, which emphasizes that he is giving his opinion. I bet he’s feeling something, though, whether it’s increased rotational mass, increased aerodynamic drag, a difference in tire pressure, a difference between early and late season physical condition, etc.

And in truth, the method you describe wouldn't be considered a way of getting valid data, either. You'd need a double blind double screen test, conducted by and measured by machine (humans are way too unreliable), on a statistically significant sample set, under laboratory conditions.

It would be nice if Road Bike Review had the resources to conduct those kinds of tests, but for right now we’re stuck with peoples’ opinions, flawed as they are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,275 Posts
DavidGrip said:
I know these are beneth most, but I am trying to decide between these 2 wheel sets. I put all my money in my DH. I am a CAT 4. As my Dad told me, the pilot can make a difference. I am currently riding Mavic CXP21 w/ ultegra hubs. Heavy, but stay true.

David
i think they are beneath most b/c in all seriousness what you have now, assuming it was built right, (and the trueness suggests they are) are probably superior to the aforementioned wheels. Customs are easy to rebuild, cheap and easy to find spares, strong as you say, and lets face it, neither the mavic or shimano mentioned are light wheels. IIRC both are around 1.8kg. Basically you would have the same thing, be a few $$ lighter, with less longevity and more expensive parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
In the $300-400 range, Shimano hubs, lightweight spokes and Mavic Open Pro rims are the way to go... not as flashy as the factory sets, but probably the best value.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top