Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ProtoJ
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please no smart comments from all the ES bashers. I know handbuilts are better and I have a few sets, but these came on my bike and I have been impressed with them until now.

I have a mystery sound coming from the rear hub on my ksyrium ES hub…I think. The sound has a similar sound quality to a chain rubbing on the front der. It only occurs when I am climbing in the top three gears. The sound cannot be duplicated in the stand….only under pressure.

I cleaned and relubed the rear hub using Pedros Road Rage (Per Mavic Tech Support). Everything else with the drive train is clean and well adjusted. I tried my other two sets of wheels, and it only occurs with the Mavic. The wheel has about 500 miles of riding in dry conditions. I'm assuming the sound is coming from the hub because I encounted a similar sound when I first got the bike and it went away after a few drops of lube. Is there a better lube that I should try? There are only so many parts in this hub to fiddle with, and they all appear to look brand new still.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
491 Posts
i read your post and my first though was it's not the wheel, maybe the rear derailuer is not lined up or tweaked and it gets worse when your in the top three cogs. if it was a lube thing then i dont think gearing would change that, either it makes noise or it doesn't. That being said i have always lubed mavic freehubs with phils tenasious oil with great results. Otherwise i am drawing a blank.

·
ProtoJ
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At first I thought something was out of adjustment with the drive train, but my gears run great with my other two wheelsets. All of my wheels have the same Ultegra 12-25 cassette as well. But when I switch over to the ES, the noise is back. Thats why I'm thinking its the wheel. I could be wrong since most bike noises usually come from something totally random. Anyway, I'm stumped. If I pedal up hill but just spin the cranks, no noise. But when I put a little more power into the spin or stand up and crank, the noise is there with each revolution.

·
ProtoJ
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just solved the problem

After doing a little research on the web, I discovered lots of people having this problem. Turns out the free hub body is shot. I just checked and sure enough, I have tons of play when I grab onto the largest gear. I'm pretty dissapointed that I only got 500 miles out of it especially when I lubed it at about 250 miles. Lookes like its $50 for a new one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.