Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question-

What is the value of a basically trashed but still ridable/useable set of Ksyrium SSC SL wheels? The rims were worn but wheels are true and still worked. Mavic now wants too much money to rebuild $525 for me to want these wheels rebuilt. The original quote was around $450 when I sent them in. Nominal? Perhaps, but it was already on the $$$ fringe for me when I sent them in.

Mavic has taken them apart and now informs me that they will just ship back the hubs.

Seems like any value that was had in the wheels is now gone. True/not true? Stupid on my part?

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Better choices

Sickitty said:
What is the value of a basically trashed but still ridable/useable set of Ksyrium SSC SL wheels? The rims were worn but wheels are true and still worked. Mavic now wants too much money to rebuild $525 for me to want these wheels rebuilt. The original quote was around $450 when I sent them in. Nominal? Perhaps, but it was already on the $$$ fringe for me when I sent them in.

Mavic has taken them apart and now informs me that they will just ship back the hubs.

Seems like any value that was had in the wheels is now gone. True/not true? Stupid on my part?
You don't say what is "wrong" with these wheels, but recognize that you can get a new set of DA/CXP 33 wheels for around $550, which are comparable to your Ksyriums.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
mavic isn't charging WAYYYY too much...they're charging retail for rims/spoke kits, and their labor. of course you can find wheels on ebay for less than retail, why else would anyone shop online from someone they had never met in person? if you brought those wheels in to my shop, i'd probably charge just about the same. i'd rebuild the wheels and service the hubs. were the bearings shot and that's where the extra cost is coming from? that isn't mavic's fault...

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree

I'm not saying that it is too much for what they are doing, it was just more than I want to spend.

You are right they are replacing rims, spokes bearings, etc. I'm in a bind because now its another 20% more than original price which was on the top end to start. And now the wheels are broken down and I can't get them back...all I'll get if I bail are hubshells.

Thanks.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Sickitty said:
I'm not saying that it is too much for what they are doing, it was just more than I want to spend.
You are right they are replacing rims, spokes bearings, etc. I'm in a bind because now its another 20% more than original price which was on the top end to start. And now the wheels are broken down and I can't get them back...all I'll get if I bail are hubshells.
If it was me I'd cut my losses, let 'em keep the hubs and order a set of these OP/DA/DT wheels for $399 that will compete at every level with the K's - and excel them in most.

·
Registered
303 Posts
In my opinion, having Mavic do the service you are expecting top notch factory build (I would be expecting that). I have got good deals that don't end up that way in the end and usually I "pony-up" for my gamble.

I would spend the extra $75, get a great re-build, ride them, take care of them and keep them for a long time. Getting just the hubs back is usless. If buy buy an unknown used Ebay set, something I would not consider for wheels, you might end up in the same situation.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
yeah, unless you're really hard on wheels:D , they'll probably last you for years. if you end up getting them rebuilt, just remember to lube the freehub body every few months. it's a drag mavic has already taken them apart...but at least you know they're gonna be good as new when you get them back...compare the rebuild $ against the msrp for new wheels...that's not so bad.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Inform Mavic the you don't wish to have the work done and that you want them to ship back the hubs with all the other parts.

They were sent for a service assessment not for disposal. Insist that they send back everything that they received.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Dude... Pay the extra money. It's so negligible for such an essential product that you not only have used and abused and loved, but have given you many miles of problem free riding.

Considering the SL's cost nearly a grand, half that to have a "brand new" set isn't too much to ask after thousands and thousands of miles on them.

I mean c'mon... wheels are only expensive occasionally, tubes are always cheap repeatedly.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Sickitty-

Did you like the SSC SLs? I assume you did or you would not have sent 'em in for repair.

I often harp on how overpriced Ksyriums are, but in your case I would go for the rebuild. For the slight cost over taking the risk of buying used on eBay you would have a near new factory-tuned "bling" wheelset. And you could always sell 'em yourself on eBay later with the docs of that factory rebuild.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Probably gonna go for it...

Thanks for all the comments, I have been bouncing around in my own head and agree with everybody!

My final answer, for now, is since Mavic has broken them down, now my hand is forced. I'll probably forge ahead and get them rebuilt. I have heard that having wheels on a bike often helps.

When I started, my plan was something like this:

I liked my Ksyriums, but not enough to pay any amount to have them restored. I also like trying different things. I wanted to spend around $400. When the LBS quoted Mavic around that price, I hedged but went for it. I had figured that if it were more, I could get the wheels back and sell them for parts and maybe get around $100, after all they did still work. If I did that then I could get a $500 set, DA hubs, DT/IRD rims or 2 pair Ultegra/IRD or whatever and put the money toward the wheels. Now, I'm in for almost $600 (with tax) for one pair of wheels. Everything did not go according to plan...bummer.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
Was that the upgrade price?

Sickitty said:
I wanted to spend around $400. When the LBS quoted Mavic around that price, I hedged but went for it. I had figured that if it were more, I could get the wheels back and sell them for parts and maybe get around $100, after all they did still work. I
Uh, you did say sl ssc, right? Name and number of your lbs, please.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.