Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have stock Ksyrium equipe today and was looking for a lighter set...would lose 290g in this upgrade. I need an everyday type wheel (climbing, flats, etc.) ..thx

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I hear go custom a lot...but like a lot of folks probably don't know enough to pick out individual components. I'd figure the SL normally goes for ~1K and 30% off might be worth jumping in....
Any suggestions on custom wheel specs?

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
live2veg said:
Thanks for the replies. I hear go custom a lot...but like a lot of folks probably don't know enough to pick out individual components. I'd figure the SL normally goes for ~1K and 30% off might be worth jumping in....
Any suggestions on custom wheel specs?
Anything is better than K-word wheels - Kinlin/White Industries from Zen. DT-240 or DuraAce hubs with your choice of rims and spokes from BWW. Anything.

·
Registered
826 Posts
live2veg said:
I'd figure the SL normally goes for ~1K and 30% off might be worth jumping in....
You're still spending an extra $300 on the name. That's a sad waste of money. Go custom, or get a set of Zen, Neuvation, Rol, BWW, Soul etc.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
The aversion on this board to Ksyriums, especially at the prices that they can now be found at, is ridiculous. I have many different sets of wheels, carbon including three pairs of carbon (66mm T, 46mm C, low profile T), OP laced 3x to DT 240s, Zipp 101, Ksyrium Elites, and Ksyrium SL2's and just recently a new pair of Ksyrium SuperLights. The Ksyrium is a strong capable wheel and that can be raced and abused.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
What can we say if you can't see it? This has been done a thousand times -

Too heavy for the price.
Exaggerated weights.
Replacement spokes too expensive and hard to get.
Ditto rims.
The most un-aero boutique wheel.
Crappy rear hub.

Anything is better. They'd be ok at $299 tops. And that's a stretch. $225 would be perfect. I can find you way better for $350.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Mike T. said:
What can we say if you can't see it? This has been done a thousand times -

Too heavy for the price.
Exaggerated weights.
Replacement spokes too expensive and hard to get.
Ditto rims.
The most un-aero boutique wheel.
Crappy rear hub.

Anything is better. They'd be ok at $299 tops. And that's a stretch. $225 would be perfect. I can find you way better for $350.
Spent much time on them?

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
ewitz said:
Spent much time on them?

I did. I rode them from 2002 to 2004, pretty much exclusively. They worked- never broke a spoke or anything like that, but once I switched over to some handbuilts, I realized how much more you can get for your money.

I have no idea about reliability on their wheels anymore, but yeah, even though I'm not much of a fan of Rol wheels, I'd purchase a set of those before I plunked down any money on a set of ksyriums (any level)-- you'd still be getting a much better value for your money (and a lot better customer service if anything did go wrong).

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
I think they are a good deal at $600. They are basically a bullet proof set. I don't know why I keep selling mine. Well, I do. I sold my 1st set to get some new hoops and I ended up with the Premium SLs. I just sold these to by brother-in-law to offset some nice Reynolds Carbon clinchers.

Let me tell you about a guy I ride with. I call him Mongo to a select few. He does not even know I call him that. Well, Mongo is actually a compliment. He is 275 pounds and looks like a linebacker on a bike. He is fricking HUGE!!!. The guy is also a power x2 masher. He and I were riding this moring on a break away and we finished together. I let him do the last mile effort doing 27 mph on a 60 mile smash fest. BTW I save over 100 watts behind the guy...it awesome drafting off of him.

Anyway I digress. He and I are talking about what wheels he rides which are currently some AC 58mm carbon clinchers. He said he really like them. But I gotta ask what about spokes, you break them? All the time, he says about the AC's but he really likes them anyway. We get itno why a deep dish wheel is good for him due to strength and stiffness. I ask him if ever rode Cosmic Carbones. He said yeah I ripped the spokes out of the rim....not good but he still liked them too. We get into the Kyserium SLs to which he said these are bullet proof. I never broke any spokes on these. Damn, I think, I just sold mine again.

Moral of the story. Don't listen to anyone who says Mavic Ks are crap. They ain't and for $600 they are well worth the $. At 700 we are getting into diminishing returns IMO but still a quality wheel. Down side to the K's is that they are not very aero. Other than that you can beat the snot out of them for a long time.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
I think the countless 'go custom' posts are equally if not more so considered spam posts. Not that I disagree but please, this anti Mavic crap is tantamount to the Trek bashing mumbo jumbo. The real issue is that Mavics retail is way out of touch....hmmm kinda like some of the custom carbons too.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
mimason said:
I think the countless 'go custom' posts are equally if not more so considered spam posts. Not that I disagree but please, this anti Mavic crap is tantamount to the Trek bashing mumbo jumbo. The real issue is that Mavics retail is way out of touch....hmmm kinda like some of the custom carbons too.
Not necessarily anti Mavic. Just anti K. Add me to the hater list. Ditto what mike T said above. Way overpriced imho. I do enjoy my overpriced Mavic Zxellium shoes and my overpriced Mavic jersey.:thumbsup:

Edit: oh and to the OP, I think $699 is not worth it. Maybe half that.

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
mimason said:
Any company that makes (and worse yet re-makes) the R-SYS loses all credibility. I have always been a fan of Mavics mountain rims, but for some reason the quality just doesn't transfer over to the road.

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
Good point about R-SYS. I would not ride them if they were free. Also, as a former MTB rider I think my history with Mavic was good. I still have my old anodized Mavics on the classis hard tail Specialized S-Works M2.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Zen Cyclery said:
Any company that makes (and worse yet re-makes) the R-SYS loses all credibility. I have always been a fan of Mavics mountain rims, but for some reason the quality just doesn't transfer over to the road.
I don't know about saying that. I'd say their boutique stuff doesn't transfer. But I've had amazing luck with OP's and CXP33's. My go-to training wheelset is a Mavic Cosmic Elite front wheel from maybe 2002 with a PT/CXP-33 rear. I trued it last week - first time I ever trued it in 5 years, or about 45,000 miles of abuse.

I'm very pleased with Mavic's rims, and with my Cosmic Elites. I'd buy them again, no question.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
The 'go custom' posts are repetitive, but made with a point, and in respect to the fact the OP wasn't acting exclusive of anything beyond the Ksyriums.

Now if we were talking about whether or not the Ksyrium SL's are worth it, and not about what's better/ideal, I'd confidently go for it based on my experience with Mavic so far:

At the end of the day, my less aero, heavier Aksium (would've been a set if the rear survived a crash) has had me rolling, not demanding to be trued in the past 4-5 years under two owners, and doesn't have me looking at it as some kind of scapegoat to my riding performance. Similar can be said with my experience with a cheaper CXP22 build.

Maybe if I was heavier, I'd have a less "inspired" experience. But as far as I see it, I'll strongly consider Mavic in the future. Works out for me. I'd personally find that price tag to go into expected trustworthines - not just the numbers game.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
ok now a direct answer

1. $700 is a right price for a new set of Mavic Ksyrium SLs
2. you would pay ~$400 for a used set.
3. the ksyriums are bomb proof unless you are one the heavy side
4. you could buy better factory wheels for that price and similar weight.

If you like them go for it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ride on Mavic K's SL and I like them. 3200 troublefree miles, still true, no broken spokes...I only weigh 146 lbs at 5'11", B class rider with a little talent for climbing.

At $700, it is a good deal for a reliable wheel.

Personally, I work too many hours every week to have to deal with broken spokes and out of true fancy carbon custom wheels and place more emphasis on reliability and bulletproofness (if that is a real word).

1 - 20 of 98 Posts