Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
ewitz said:
Does the word shill mean anything to you?
Does the sentence "I've been around here for thirteen years using my own money, time, effort to provide websites, answer thousands of e-mails and PMs to help others with their wheels and not making a penny off it" mean anything to you?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Mike T. said:
Does the sentence "I've been around here for thirteen years using my own money, time, effort to provide websites, answer thousands of e-mails and PMs to help others with their wheels and not making a penny off it" mean anything to you?
all with a very pronounced bias?

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
ewitz said:
all with a very pronounced bias?
I give out the info that I think is in the best interest of the Question Asker. Always have; always will. It's not my fault if the same questions keep coming up time & time again. As I'm inexhaustible and dedicated to helping others with Wheels my answer won't change until I have, IMO, a better one. It's a good job you didn't know me in the eight years of my Magura Cult website days. You would have freaked.

But don't worry, I won't hunt you down or stalk you so that I might have a chance to label you as a Hypocrite.

·
Registered
613 Posts
oh snap

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
I'd bet I know who is the BWW owner ( or has bought options on it ) .....

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Salsa_Lover said:
nope, Mike has nothing. I hate working for free, but he must love it. Everyone always gets what they pay for. He speaks as though the BWW wheels are the ones that fit everyone's bill up until you get past the $1000 retail wheels. BWW uses generic hubs and rims, are none aero (no, you can't tell the difference between how SUCK the aerodynamics of the Krysium/Aksium wheels are & the BWW blackset wheels)

Hes been called on his bias more than just this time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Salsa_Lover said:
In the same light, how's your Shimano stock working out? Just as some hand built comments are predictable, so are some of the pre-built comments on this forum. Most people paying attention will decide what they want.

I still have my Ksyrium ES's, which have been bullet proof, aside from the cheap bushing in the hubshell. I'll probably build a set of wheels for myself in the next year, but they'll be more expensive than K's, and also more expensive than the excellent Shimano wheels, which I'd consider if I didn't run Campy.

I do wonder what the rear K wheel going to plastic spokes on the NDS will do for durability and Mavic brand equity? I still wouldn't touch those spokes, even with sponsor money.

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
My experience has not been favorable. I bought a bike with a pair (Ksyrium ES) and had to have the wheels rebuilt. The previous owner, a pro, had trained on them for a whole year and the breaking surfaces were badly cupped. No problem... they'll be fresh wheels. That cost me about $400 at cost but they were new, the only thing salvaged were the hub shells. Rode them two years (sundays only) and was underwhelmed by their harsh ride, drift in cross winds and how the bike would skip and jump on descents when it should have been tracking on the road. Eventually, the rear rim cracked at many of the spoke heads so I figured it was a good jumping off point. Shipped back to Mavic a second time and this time is was $300 at cost to rebuild the rear only. Got it back and sold the pair for $550. Pretty poor return overall with lack luster performance.
Since then I've had a friend break a spoke on the rear (Ksyrium SSC, also a recent rebuild) that left him stranded and calling home. We couldn't get the wheel to pass through the frame it was so bent from the tension release. Another commuter friend broke a spoke on a high miles front wheel that his shop is quoting him $300 for a rebuild on. I gave him a wheel to ride since cash is tight. Seems like what little servicing that is possible on these wheels is done by Mavic at great expense. No more factory wheels for me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
ssc

with all do respect it seems odd the misfortune you and your peers have w/the mavic sl Ksyrium SSC

i myself tend to breaks things often but have a 2003 Ksyrium SSC and work fine, front wobble a little down hill over 40 mph

i had a mtb wheel hand built for me (mavic rim) and the guy used an odd ball hub and would not fit my fork, i forked out 700 dolla to buy new fork

if you a big guy and you hammer hard, you gonna have issues w/wheel set,

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
One thing I'm starting to learn about RBR. If you post against someone's opinion, they'll fight you to the ends of the earth (or forum). I guess the bottom line is the person asking will do what they want anyway.

I'm sure most people around here would tell me I wasted my money building up a super light bike and buying a set of carbon tubulars that weigh less than 1kg when I don't race, and I use them as everyday wheels.

That's great- if I cared what they thought I wouldn't have done it. It's not their money I'm "wasting", as far as I'm concerned it was money well spent.

If someone wants to ride the "Ford Pinto" of bicycle wheels (r-sys), hey, have fun with that. I don't care, it's all good. As long as it's not my money.

It is kind of fun to see how far these things can go, as long as no one is showing up at your door with a baseball bat!

Flame on!:aureola:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
At 200lbs, i put a few hundred miles on my 20 spoke neuvation front, over nasty CA bay area streets, pot holes, rough gravel, and general abuse, with 23-25c tires.. and i tuned it up once (which was probably not even necessary).

I paid 100 bucks for the wheel. The whole set would have been 300. Mavics K-wheels SHOULD hold up, their top end set is within grams of a bargain priced budget wheelset that holds up to heavy riders on poor roads. That doesnt say much for them.

Good wheels dont break, and theres lots of good wheels out there for a fraction of the price of mavics. What do people think they're getting from the nearly 3x they're spending on k's? Its certainly not weight, the scales dont lie. Its certainly not durability, the rest of us dont seem to be busting well built wheels..

·
Registered
187 Posts
Which is a stiffer/stronger wheel, the 2010 Mavic Ksyrium SL Premium or the 2010 Fulcrum Racing Zero. I weigh 235lbs, came across a good deal for both sets.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts