Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a recreational rider looking to upgrade my Shimano R-540's. I weigh about 190# and ride around NYC on some rough roads. At this point I'm trying to decide between the Ksyrium SL's and handbuilt wheels:
DT hubs 240s
14/15 DT double butted spkes, 32H, 3X
DT RR 1.1 rims
Any feedback on ride quality, durability, stiffness, speed? Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Handbuilts for sure! I have almost the exact build you mention below.

240s hubs
28 2X front
32 3X rear

DT 1.1 rims

The key is finding a reputable builder. I decided to give Joe Young a shot and after one season my wheels have been great. Haven't even touched a spoke key to them yet!

There are tons of posts on this exact subject so do a search for more info. Maybe someone else in NYC can recommend a local builder.

·
Registered
656 Posts
coincidences are getting creepy here

i have Ksyrium Elites, and i'm saving up for a set of 28h hand-built DT wheels. personally, i think that the Ksyriums are great for training: they're completely indestructible. however, they are pretty heavy. even the SL model is not very light, and it doesn't have any real "'aero" qualities as a saving grace. also, at 135-140pounds, i don't enjoy the wind-grabbing bladed spokes.

....i'll be keeping my Elites for use on rainy days, but i can't wait to order my 1420g handbuilts!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Joe Young Rocks!

I agree about Joe Young. He built me some CXP33/DT Hubs and they have been excellent! About about 235lb and didn't put a spoke wrench to them for over a year -- much better luck than I've had with other wheels.

-Bob

_AEF_ said:
Handbuilts for sure! I have almost the exact build you mention below.

240s hubs
28 2X front
32 3X rear

DT 1.1 rims

The key is finding a reputable builder. I decided to give Joe Young a shot and after one season my wheels have been great. Haven't even touched a spoke key to them yet!

There are tons of posts on this exact subject so do a search for more info. Maybe someone else in NYC can recommend a local builder.

·
Go Aggies
55 Posts
Yep I have the exact build you mentioned.

32h
DT 240s
3x
DT 1.1

Best of All BUILT by JOE YOUNG
my teamate rode them (He's a CAT 2 sprinter) and are pleasently supprised. He said they sprint great, corner on rails, and climb great (~1500g)

They treated me very very well

But now I need areo race wheels (well not need, but it was sugested by my coach as I can't climb to save my life), so I have to sell the DT wheels, they're gona go up in the classified soon (hint hint, nudge, nudge).

But that build built by Joe is GREAT, he builds a great wheel with lots of tension. I love them.

Garrett
Cal Aggie Cycling

·
Registered
376 Posts
You may also want to check out Mike Garcia at oddsandendos

He also get's great reviews on RBR for handbuilts.

I just ordered a set of handbuilts with DT 340s hubs (but Velocity Aerohead/Aerohead OC rims as I wanted the OC rear). $490 for the set shipped, which is excellent since the hubs alone are around $400 at Excel.

Mike talked to me over an hour about the wheels coming up with the configuration. I was pretty impressed. He indicated it will be about 10 days before these arrive as he is backed up with orders.

Check out his site at www.oddsandendos.com. I would also suggest giving him a call.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My honest opinion is that you should get the one that you like the looks of more. The fact is, they are both great wheel choices. One will look a bit more flashy, the other will probably be slightly more reliable and repairable in the long run. But in reality, you shouldn't have to repair either any time soon (and Ksyriums can be repaired if needed).

Personally, I simply like the looks of the Ksyriums more than handbuilts. I usually race on Zipp 404's, so for training (which is 90% of my riding) I ride what I like the looks of and what motivates me, makes me like staring at my bike...:)
Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts