Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to hear from anyone with experience with these wheelsets, good and bad. I'm looking for a race-quality wheelset that I can use for triathlon on a variety of courses (flat, technical, sprint to ironman distance). Both of these look like they can do the trick. I've seen some complaints about the Ksyrium hub -- anyone have experience with the 2006 model?

· T.R., conservationist
239 Posts
I got my handbuilts about two weeks ago, Niobium 30mm rims, Pillar Ti alloy spokes (20/24) and White Industry hubs; I love them, can't imagine better wheels.
I had considered your two choices but my new wheels weigh 1376gm, which is less than the two you mentioned, plus can be easily repaired... and they cost less.
Good luck.
Jerry

· Registered
1,541 Posts
Tempest IIs...

I just wrote a brief review a few days ago for the Easton Tempest wheels I've had for 6 months. It's in the review section. I haven't tried the Ksyriums so i can't directly compare.

But I really like these Easton wheels. The hubs are very nicely constructed, sealed and roll smoothly. They look really sexy IMO. I was previously using a set of Rolf Vigors that replaced a set of Rolf Vector Pros. I liked the Vector Pros so I figured I'd love the Vigors. The Vigors had significant play laterally to the point of rubbing on the pads during hard climbing/sprinting ... and no matter how many times I and the LBS tried adjusting the replacing/bearings, the play remained. (I think the hubs were made by AC?) I thought it was unaceptable and got the Eastons... problem solved.

I use the Eastons as an everyday wheelset. I weigh about 185 lbs. They have held up well on the crappy roads and the NW rainy season. Have yet a need to true them. They do pull a bit in a hard cross wind as any deep rim wheelset will. Is it any more aero than a regular rim? Probably not, but i like the stiff feel of the deep rims rather than a 32h reg rim.

Had I not gotten the Eastons, I would have gone custom with DT/Hugi hubs and rims. Maybe Excel's Swiss Threat. But I found the eastons on eBay for about $500.

I do worry about the day i may need to replace a spoke or get the hubs overhauled. Not sure the LBS will bother to know the correct tension, etc.

I've ridden Mavic Heliums and Cosmos in the past. I got rid of the Heliums due to cracks at the spoke holes. I still have the Cosmos on my beater. The Mavic hubs were top notch. The rims so-so.

Hope this helps you come to a decision.

· Registered
1,449 Posts
I have the carbon Tempests, same hub though.
I could not ask for a better wheel. I don't have a single complaint.
I have also used Mavics. The free hub design on those wheels is absolute junk. The only good thing is it's easy to service, but you are constantly doing it. I will never own another Mavic wheel again. If you live in a wet climate your problems will increase.
Also, everyone and there dog rides K's. Usually not by choice as they come stock on almost every decent bike. You don't see too many people on Eastons (comparitively), but those people chose to ride them.

· Registered
34 Posts
I ride both

I ride both wheelsets you mention.

The Mavic's are durable, stiff and roll great. I don't find them too heavy at all. I use them for racing here in New England with all the crappy roads.

The Easton's are light, not as stiff as the Mavic's and roll great with the awesome hubs they have.

You can't go wrong with either wheelset. In fact, I have 2 sets of the Tempest 2 wheels (not carbon), one I haven't even used yet.

Good Luck.

Rich

· glutton for punishment
684 Posts
The K's may be currently out of fashion (handbuilts are the new black, honey) but they're bomproof, easily servicable, and you can get the Mavic MP3 deal - no-fault repair/ replacement for 2 yrs.
But if they're for tri's, wouldn't you want something a bit more aero? My advice would be to drop some more $ or go used and get the Mavic Cosmic SL's.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I have a couple sets of Ksyriums, and I love them (Black 03s, Silver 05s). I'm a clyde too (that means 200+). I have somewhere over 10,000 miles across both sets, and have never had a single problem.

The rear black one needs some truing now, however it probably had 7000 of the 10000 miles before it needed it.

The Ks are the most eye catching of any non deep dish wheel i've seen. I always get people looking at them (especially non or beginner cyclists).

· Registered
359 Posts
mytorelli said:
Ksyriums are always going to be somewhat heavy, very durable, and very reliable. only bad part is everyone has them.
Which of course, could be due to value inherent in the product. I have a set of 2006 SL's. I'm not sure what problems people have noted with the hubs but I haven't noted any problems. They spin and spin and spin. The front hub is now carbon fiber. The wheels are not really heavy - a little over 1500 grams. They are as sturdy as any wheels I've owned and very stiff. The only wheels I've owned that I would put in the same league as these are the Topolino AC29 which are also outstanding wheels. I think the only negative is the use of proprietary spokes which makes maintenance just a little harder. In my experience there are more similarities than differences between most wheels. The SL's, however, are better than most of them. Perhaps that is why they are so popular.

· Registered
9 Posts
Easton-Velomax bearing play

TriDaddy said:
I'd love to hear from anyone with experience with these wheelsets, good and bad. I'm looking for a race-quality wheelset that I can use for triathlon on a variety of courses (flat, technical, sprint to ironman distance). Both of these look like they can do the trick. I've seen some complaints about the Ksyrium hub -- anyone have experience with the 2006 model?

I've logged about 2500 miles on a set of the Velomax (Easton) Accent IIs, and I can tell you that overall they are a strong, light wheelset, however, these, as with all the Easton-Velomax hubs, run a cartridge bearing hub that develops play at the hub due to the bearing moving in the hub (not play in the bearing). The Velomax "fix" for this is to supply dealers with some industrial grade Loctite which essentially glues the bearing into the hub. As a shop mechanic, I've seen numerous Velomax wheels come in with this problem, and have personally glued bearings on these, and my own. Success is varied for this fix as I have twice done this for my own wheels, only to have the play issue redevelop within a few rides after the fix. It's only a negligible amount of play, but that translates into something you can certainly see and feel at the rim. As far as I know there is no real fix, I've even switched out bearings. I continue to ride the wheels, but my next wheelset (on its way as we speak) will be the Ksyriums for this reason.

· Registered
9 Posts
Same wheelset, new Easton stickers (the hubs are even still velomax).

As for no consequence: Try cornering on a set at 30mph...then you might believe otherwise. I sure do, and I've ridden both. The Mavic is the way to go, but that is just my opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.