Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put some new ksyriums on my bike and they seem to have some rolling resistance. When you give the wheel a good spin with your hand, they come to a stop pretty quick (as compared to my old wheels). I tried loosening the quick release and that helped a little, but not much. It also caused extra flex in the rear when out of the saddle. Not sure what is going on. Should I loosen the bearings some? Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Noticed that too...

I have a pair of 2005 Ksyrium SLs with about 40 miles on them which I got with my new bike, a beautiful Klein Q-Pro XX, but I digress...

Before even riding the wheels and bike I did the 'spin test' and noticed that the rear wheel, in particular, comes to a stop rather quickly, compared to the Shimano Dura Ace (WH-7800) wheels on my other bike. The freewheel action is also noticeably noisier which indicates to me that more energy is being dissipated on the rear SL, all else being equal. I haven't tried any adjustments, as I'm still adapting to the wonderful feel of the new bike/wheels/tires. However, while riding, I don't notice anything bad or unexpected.

Anyone else with more time/experience with these wheels?

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
bryancm said:
I recently put some new ksyriums on my bike and they seem to have some rolling resistance. When you give the wheel a good spin with your hand, they come to a stop pretty quick (as compared to my old wheels). I tried loosening the quick release and that helped a little, but not much. It also caused extra flex in the rear when out of the saddle. Not sure what is going on. Should I loosen the bearings some? Thanks.

I have the "old" black ones with a ridiculous amount of kilometers on them and have never touched the bearings or spokes. Frankly, I don't think this sort of spin test has any "bearing" on real world riding conditions. I can loosen a cone bearing setup to the point where it spins forever, but is sloppy- and even feels funny when riding. As long as they spin freely and are not tight, I don't think there is a problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
New hubs have more resistance

Hubs made in the last few years have more drag, and have more don't spin as long (when your bike is in a stand). My understanding is that manufacturers have focused on improving seals on top-end hubs to guard against water infiltration by pro mechanics when they spray down bikes. I have SSCs and a hand built wheelset (MA 40s with Mavic hubs from the early 90's). When I spin the old wheels, they seem to spin for ever. The SSCs don't spin that long at all. As far as on road performance, my understanding is that the "drag" on the hubs has no detrimental effect on performance. From a purely anecdotal perspective, I don't think Mavic would have taken a step backward in performance in the 15-years since my original Mavic hubs were made.

·
Registered
50 Posts
same here...

While I was cleaning my chain and cranking backwards, the rear wheel started to rotate!. I took it in to my shop for a lube (mineral oil) and he was perplexed but explained that it might be because of the light weight of the whee. Mentally, though, it doesn't feel like it should be happening...

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
bryancm said:
Should I loosen the bearings some? Thanks.
The old SSCs I had were easily adjustable with the wheels on the bike... so try loosening them a little... but not too much.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Loosening Wheels?

I am sure you aren't referring to loosening the skewers...to loosen the bearing race, that covering has to be removed and the hex wrenches used? I have 2006 SL3s

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2004 Ksyrium SLs spin very freely without much friction. They have 1561.3 miles on them.

What year models are your Ksyrium SLs that they don't spin freely?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine are 2006. If I lift the back wheel off the ground and spin the crank backwards, the wheel spins backwards. Maybe it is because the wheels are so light...

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
rbmn9529 said:
Mine are 2006. If I lift the back wheel off the ground and spin the crank backwards, the wheel spins backwards. Maybe it is because the wheels are so light...
In the grand scheme of things Ksyriums aren't what you'd really consider to be "light."

·
Registered
50 Posts
OK then...after having them inspected at my bike shop and re-lubed, and they STILL spin backwards when cranked backwards, is there something wrong?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I get the concept...

The wheels aren't light. So they shouldn't be doing what I describe. If not, what is the fix? Thanks, all...

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
rbmn9529 said:
I am sure you aren't referring to loosening the skewers...to loosen the bearing race, that covering has to be removed and the hex wrenches used? I have 2006 SL3s
I guess they changed them then... the bearing preload was adjustable using a special pin spanner wrench. I thought it was a very nice feature, but sold them asap for other reasons.

·
Registered
799 Posts
yes - it's the tire lever "special tool" that was included

Allen wrench into both sides where the skewer goes and loosen. Use the 3/4 circle tire skewer with the little knobs on them that came with the wheels to loose (just a very small amount) the bearing cap with the matching small holes). Retighten the allen keys and your good to go. You may need to play with it a bit to get just the right bearing pressure.

KMan

rbmn9529 said:

·
Registered
799 Posts
You just nned to adjust your bearings...

simple fix - see my post below about loosening the bearings just a bit to allow your wheels to spin more freely.

KMan

bryancm said:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Front wheel: adjust bearing as described, with the little pin spanner thing. You can do this with the wheel on the bike; the pressure of the QR holds the axle still and you can loosen the bearings with the plastic wrench. Once you do, hold the bars still and yank the rim side to side a few times to see whether you have developed play; if so, tighten a bit. I have found that my ksyriums tend to loosen up a bit after a couple thousand miles.

Rear wheel: could very well be your freewheel mechanism that's causing drag. This will only affect you when coasting, but you can fix it by disassembling the freewheel, cleaning, and lubing with mineral oil; mineral oil is much less viscous than most other types of oil, and as such causes less drag. Rear hub can be taken apart be removing cassette, removing plugs from both sides, sticking appropriate allen keys into each side of hub, and twisting. You'll then be able to take off the freewheel body; the pawls will fall off, but don't worry, you just clean and lube everything, put the pawls back where they were, and reassemble. Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with your assessment

regarding the freewheel being the culprit. Maybe the pawl springs are a bit too stiff? Nevertheless, the freewheel was taken apart and inspected and there was nothing abnormal...thanks for the e-mail

1 - 20 of 21 Posts