Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Just one more switchback
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started riding Ksyrium ES's and don't know if I like them that much. The back of the bike often jumps around when I am sprinting and I did not have this problem when I was using Bontrager X-Lites. I weigh 127lbs and am 5'-4". I usually race masters 35+ and occasionally Cat 4. Are the Ksyriums just too stiff for my weight? I try to keep my weight back and it does help but not enough some times.

I got a good deal on the wheels through the team and have a friend who wants to buy them. I can get a good deal on a set of AM Classic Magnesium wheels that would be lighter than the Ksyeriums but probably not as stiff which may be good for me. Or, I can get a custom set of wheels built from someone like Ligero for the same cost and +/- a few grams weight.

I know that the weight difference is not going to make that much of a difference in racing. Since the Ksyeriums are heavier than the X-Lites, I don't think it is a wheel weight issue and I don't think going to a lighter, less stiff wheel would hurt me. Would the Magnesium wheels be ok for a daily use wheel at my weight?

Opinions?

· Registered
491 Posts
the magnesiums are not recommended for daily riding by AM since the rims are so light. Plus the Magnesium corrodes easily. Also I would stay away from AM hubs, I have personally seen to many problems with those hubs. If you dont like the Mavics i would look for a custom build with some light weight hubs and rims

· Registered
10 Posts
So,... just joining in the discussion, I am looking at the American Classic CR 420 which I understand is not the same product as the AC magnesium. Any comments out there apart from the AM hubs concern just expressed by roadboy? As a general question, would replacing my Campag Melbourne rims with the AC CR 420 give me much of a performance improvement in terms of speed? I weigh about 654 kg and the frame I am riding is a Bianchi steel frame, Dedacciai zero tre. A bit heavy I have been finding, especially on the hills (maybe my fitness!?) and hence am looking around at cheaper improvements to my set-up apart from going out and buying a new bike totally, appreciate any input,
cyclistijim

teSe,mea.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
well, to answer the OP, custom is obviously the best bang for buck choice...

being a lightweight, you could build some very light wheels and get away w/ it ! there's no reason why you should need more than a 28/24 spoke set up... i'm assuming you're on shimano, in that case ultegra/da hubs laced up to OPs or Aeroheads w/ rev spokes non drive and front wheel could yield a less than 1500gm wheel... of course there are lighter rims, but these are light and proven to be durable !

finally, the best point about custom wheels is that the tension can be set... i've played with my mtb wheels, and damn, they sure are stiff now ! With the weird pattern of some modern off the shelf products, this isn't always possible or easy. I wouldn't mess with the tension of a g3 campy wheel for example.

cjim.. you want to rebuild your wheels with a lighter rim? don't bother IMO... make a new set w/ light weight spokes... w/ a classic steel bianchi, OPs are the obvious choice... build em up w/ light spokes on the non drive and front wheel with campy/shimano hubs and you're laughing... light and strong... light as in b/w campy eurus and zonda weight !!

if you're on some heavy wheels (circa 2kg+) and you want cheap and strong, have a look at the current ventos. c.1750g and they're so strong i can't justify building myself a nice set of chorus hubbed wheels with DT1.2 rear and 1.1 rims front w/ rev spokes... not just yet anyway...
that said, being a lighter guy, you could also get away w/ zondas at c.1600gm.

ventos cost?.. $150USD + shipping. I can't buy campy hubs for that !!

· Registered
4,105 Posts
wankski said:
finally, the best point about custom wheels is that the tension can be set... i've played with my mtb wheels, and damn, they sure are stiff now !
Actually, that isn't true... stiffness of the wheel is uneffected by spoke tension unless the spokes go slack... and if that is happening, you have problems!

For the OP... Ksyriums aren't stiff... they are one of the most flexible wheels. Don't be fooled by the fat spokes.

BTW, I'd recommend some custom wheels with aero rims and spokes... aero is too important to ignore when racing.

· Just one more switchback
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going custom

I have decided to go custom with Ligero. Either White Industries or Speed Composites, maybe Tune. I need to decide.

I feel that the Kyseriums are too stiff compared to my Bontragers. I have done the same sprint with both wheels and while I never noticed the Bonty's flex(and I don't think I will) I can tell that the K's are stiffer. I love them on climbs but not in races.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
rruff said:
Actually, that isn't true... stiffness of the wheel is uneffected by spoke tension unless the spokes go slack... and if that is happening, you have problems!

For the OP... Ksyriums aren't stiff... they are one of the most flexible wheels. Don't be fooled by the fat spokes.
are you sure about that, b/c that contradicts my experience w/ my mtb wheels which i tensioned up... they have changed big time... true enuff they were cheap wheels with what i thought to be slack tension (36h), but they were true, and now they are true and hard as a rock. I guess what you're saying makes sense tho come to think of it...... if properly set, the spokes shouldn't affect it, i guess rim profile (or stiffness of the rim) should matter more...

· Registered
10 Posts
thanks for your input everyone.... I have also read somewhere that the problems with the AC CR 420s in the hubs was a problem at one time but these were recalled and the problem rectified...
On a group ride this morning I must say I really liked the looks of this rim (silver with black lettering and bladed spokes) and the rider with these wheels (as well as another rider with black rims and conventional double butted spokes) said that they performed reall well....
I think I'll keep my Bianchi as is, classic, and go for the purchase of another bike... either a Cervelo Streetfire with Campy Centaur and AC CR 420s,... or maybe a full carbon Azzurri Forza (aka Leader) with same componentry --just to keep dreaming!!

Thanks again,... CJIM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.