Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We see alot of posts about poor service, thought I give Kudos to extremely good service.

I ordered a pair of tires on June 6, after hours ( it was around 10 PM). After reviewing the order mid morning the next day I sent them an email saying - Ooops - wrong colour.

I got a message back saying correction done.

I got the two tires in the mailbox yesterday, June 13. At most this is 6 days from them to me. Two of those days are a weekend and the tires came across an increasingly difficult international border.

That my friends, for international shipping is unheard of and I am very happy with BikeTiresDirect.com.

They done good.

BTW - anyone have any idea why tires cost so G%dDamned much at the LBS ?? I was looking at some GP 4 Seasons at the LBS the other day - $99 / each!!

My car tires don't cost that much.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I'm going to presume that's $99 CAD?

STILL, it's ridiculous. I feel the same, I mean, I want to support my LBS, but FULL RETAIL on any tyre is just nutso. I know that's an item that has huge margins, an LBS has to eat, &c, but, blah.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Argentius said:
I'm going to presume that's $99 CAD?

STILL, it's ridiculous. I feel the same, I mean, I want to support my LBS, but FULL RETAIL on any tyre is just nutso. I know that's an item that has huge margins, an LBS has to eat, &c, but, blah.
Yep, $99 cad, but there's only 9 cents difference in the dollar these days. $99 clams for a freaking tire?!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Blame Lambert cycles etc. The importers have a virtual monopoly in Canada, and the prices reflect that. I've got friends who either work or have worked in bike shops and they show me the prices they pay for a lot of these parts are higher than you can order them from the US, and Europe is even cheaper for most things.
The Michelin Pro2Races are a perfect example, $95 CAD at LBS, $29 CAD including delivery from Probikekit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try this one on for size. I was in the next town up the road this morning, there is a good bike store there so dropped in and snooped.

They had the Conti Competition 2006 in stock. price tag said Cdn $189.95 .

I thought my glasses must be dirty, looked again - $189.95 per tire. Just checked the Bikesdirect website - $64.95 / each. You can pay a lot of exchange with that left over $120 per tire.

·
Registered
105 Posts
at the LBS the other day, im somewhat friendly with them.. looking through their book.. they have AT LEAST 100% markup.. wanted to get a part that costs them 25$ they said the would give me at a discount for 40$!!!!!!!

·
Off the back
332 Posts
Had a great return

toomanybikes said:
We see alot of posts about poor service, thought I give Kudos to extremely good service.

I ordered a pair of tires on June 6, after hours ( it was around 10 PM). After reviewing the order mid morning the next day I sent them an email saying - Ooops - wrong colour.

I got a message back saying correction done.

I got the two tires in the mailbox yesterday, June 13. At most this is 6 days from them to me. Two of those days are a weekend and the tires came across an increasingly difficult international border.

That my friends, for international shipping is unheard of and I am very happy with BikeTiresDirect.com.

They done good.

BTW - anyone have any idea why tires cost so G%dDamned much at the LBS ?? I was looking at some GP 4 Seasons at the LBS the other day - $99 / each!!

My car tires don't cost that much.
I bought a set of cross tires in November, but didn't put them on until after race season was over. Third or fourth ride, I got a flat. After finding the staple in the tire (2 remounts and new flats because I simply couldn't find the thing), the bead ripped from the casing. This was 2 months and 5-6 mounts / removals. I thought I'd ask for a replacement. Thee bead shouldn't split. I marked the defect and sent it back.

I had the order number in a confirmation email, called them up with it. They gave me an RA and a new tire arrived 3 days after I sent the old one back. No questions, no problems. New tire is flawless so far.

Probably my 7th set from BTD and always satisfied.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
galanz said:
Blame Lambert cycles etc. The importers have a virtual monopoly in Canada, and the prices reflect that. I've got friends who either work or have worked in bike shops and they show me the prices they pay for a lot of these parts are higher than you can order them from the US, and Europe is even cheaper for most things.
The Michelin Pro2Races are a perfect example, $95 CAD at LBS, $29 CAD including delivery from Probikekit
It ain't just Canadian importers. Too many LBS's in the US charge full retail for ecerything despite their relatively lower acquisition costs. I am all for supporting local small business when possible, but the business must make an effort to be somewhat competitive. When I wish to donate $$$, I look for a good charity.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Funny thing is that I was going to ask if biketiresdirect.com was legit. I just paid $55 each for Continental 4 Season, and they had them for $36 each. Might be time to do a bulk order...

Where to get cheap tubes now (as in price)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Funny thing is that I was going to ask if biketiresdirect.com was legit. I just paid $55 each for Continental 4 Season, and they had them for $36 each. Might be time to do a bulk order...

Where to get cheap tubes now (as in price)
It's perfectly legit--I've made a couple of purchases from them without any problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.