Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· On your left!
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Latest Find…Japanese butted Kuwahara Count 12 speed

Lots of interesting features that I have not seen before or have not seen in a long time…

· On your left!
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lugs

First of all, the lugs. These lugs are longer than most of the lugs I find. Actually quite similar to my 3Rensho from that period. I find the seat stay flaring to be very interesting.

· On your left!
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Things not seen before...

The Kuwahara head set
The centering screw on the brake calipers

And coolest of all, the spare spokes used as a chain stay protector

· On your left!
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and now for something realy different...the seat post

never saw this coming, a cross between the old style clamp and I suppose the transition to the new clamp style.

The Avocet touring saddle has a unique feel to it. I like it, but I think I will retire it for now.

· On your left!
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shifting

In the back is a really nice looking ARX (??)

In the front, a mis-matched Campy.

Shifters some drilled out levers.

· On your left!
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Final thoughts

Well, I like finding the unusual and forgotten. And Kuwahara is both. Known for their bmx bikes, this Count (what does that name mean, is it a vampire bike?) counts for a decent ride.

Marketed as a touring bike (don't know why) the seat and head angles both come in at 73.5. Fork rake is modest and the wheel base is on the short side for what I think of as a touring bike. I can't make out the tubing, for sure butted, either double or triple.

Now, the important question. It fits me perfectly. I don't know what to do with the rebuild. I welcome any suggestions but consider these notes:

I have two fixed racers
I have a cyclocross SS
I have a roadie with cross tires I use for SS'ing the dirt roads I have around the house.

Any other ideas or thoughts?

Thanks.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
That's definately worth a resto job...if just for the uniqueness factor. The condition is not bad, I'd leave the finish alone, just go through everything and bring that thing back to life. I don't see anything that really strikes me as a full blown touring bike either. If it were mine, I'd find a Rolls or Regal saddle for it, probably in black, add some clipless pedals for convenience and re-wrap the bars with some white bar tape. I'd put all new cables on it and track down some new hoods, and get some modern tan sidewall tires. Looking at the frame angles, it doesn't appear to be a full on racing bike, but might suggest a good ride for leisurely century bike. The wide cluster in back suggests a bike that would be pretty versatile. My guess on age would be early to mid 80s. That was the height of Kuwahara as a company, mostly in the BMX market.

Let us know what you're going to do with it and post pics if you fix it up

brewster

· Registered
13 Posts
Nice bike! I have a Kuwahara tandem which I bought new back in 1986 and it needs a little brother. LOL FYI, the logo on the headtube is a little different than mine; my tandem is tig welded; it also has spokes mounted on the chainstay. Have fun restoring!

· Low Idiot Tolerance
465 Posts
Wow, there really is some unique stuff going on there!

The centreing screws on the brake were popular on BMXes, and they found their way onto a lot of DiaCompe MX1000s, which were about the only sidepull BMX caliper to actually have any grunt.

I'm going with early 80s, perhaps late 70s. What are the cranks? They look like Sugino GTs.

If that headset was the BMX oversize 1" you could eBay it to the BMX crew and send the kids to Harvard. :)

Kuwi are reknowned for their BMXes (ET, anyone?). Their road and track bikes have paled into obscurity in comparison. Which is a shame.

Grumps

· Registered
2,490 Posts
Have to say i love this bike. SO many interesting things going on there. Ive been wrenching for 20 years and i had forgotten about many of those crazy ideas. Honestly if it were mine, and in good shape i would go for the full restro including new paint and as many NOS parts as possible. Still whatever you do that is a great ride and you sir are a lucky man. LOL LOL .

· On your left!
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is what I did

crossracer said:
Have to say i love this bike. SO many interesting things going on there. Ive been wrenching for 20 years and i had forgotten about many of those crazy ideas. Honestly if it were mine, and in good shape i would go for the full restro including new paint and as many NOS parts as possible. Still whatever you do that is a great ride and you sir are a lucky man. LOL LOL .

Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Here she is as my ride to the post office bike. Singlespeed with the original 27's. Still have all the parts and my do a restore one day.

· What the what???
12,986 Posts
Nice find. I knew Kuwahara made BMX bikes. The LBS next door to where my parents worked used to carry them, along with Redline, Mongoose and Puch. But that was '80-'81 when BMX was king. I never knew they made road bikes as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.