Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Anyone ever heard of a Kuwahara Sprint road bike? I was only able to find this on the web.. http://www.funtimeshobbyandcycle.com/html/sprint.html

I'm a newbie when it comes to bikes so if anyone could provide an ounce of insight on whether this bike is an ok deal at $390 that would be appreciated.. because I'm a bit nervous that there is soo little info available on the web for this bike.

Thanks!
M

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm thinking of buying this bike too

Did you end up getting the Kuwahara Sprint? If so could you share some thoughts on it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, it apparently does exist... I just can't seem to find any information on this bike online! They do the BMX bikes but this 2007 Sprint Roadbike appears to be a freak of nature one-off for them. Anyway, I'm going to be taking a look at a used one tomorrow for $500 (including bike shoes, computer, and portable pump and repair kit), so I'll have some form of a road bike for my first triathlon this spring. It seems likea gamble, but I'll have my bike geek brother take a look over it for me...and if it seems fine... I'll have a road bike for half the price as a regular one. If anyone has any info, please pass it along!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Looks like a 'Importer' bicycle company has bought up the Kuwahara name and started slapping the name on the same bikes you find at department and big box stores. Think Schwinn and Walmart, I think Ignaz Schwinn would be rolling over in his grave at the quality of bikes being producted by Pacific Bicycle and sold under the Schwinn name.

I would recomend being patient and finding a bike that was originally sold by a reputable company that while may outsource their low end bikes actually makes bikes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kuwahara

I had a Kuwahara CrMo Chromoly triple butted Triathalon road bike in 1985ish. white with Suntour Superb Pro derailers. It was a great road bike but it was $600ish New back then.. Never seen another Kuwahara road bike since...

Cheers Tom...

Yes, it apparently does exist... I just can't seem to find any information on this bike online! They do the BMX bikes but this 2007 Sprint Roadbike appears to be a freak of nature one-off for them. Anyway, I'm going to be taking a look at a used one tomorrow for $500 (including bike shoes, computer, and portable pump and repair kit), so I'll have some form of a road bike for my first triathlon this spring. It seems likea gamble, but I'll have my bike geek brother take a look over it for me...and if it seems fine... I'll have a road bike for half the price as a regular one. If anyone has any info, please pass it along!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a 1985 Kuwahara Sprint. White with a rainbow paint job. It was a great bike. I actually just sold it last year (reluctantly) to a friend to make room for my new Trek Madone. The bike was in excellent shape, gotta love the suicide shifters :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
WIKI- Kuwahara had a big start in the 70s and early 80s with BMX bikes and in the mid-to-late 80s stretched out to do other things.
In 1988 I bought a Kuwahara Lion mtn bike with Deore, SIS thumb shifters! It was white with blue crackle paint!!! Steel frame/steel fork. I can't even remember the tubing manufacturer, but I want to guess Tange. It was a pretty solid bike from what I remember...a nice one at that.

That being said, I've not heard much about the newer Kuwaharas...it could be a good entry level bike for you. Let us know how it works out! Pics!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts