Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am racing Master Sport in the OCup XC races, but do most of my riding on road. I was thinking of riding the KW Classic in June, but looking at the M3/S4 results from last year, the lead group averaged 39km/h!!!!!

I don't want to DNF from being lapped. Am I missing something? Is the KW really fast or am I really slow?

·
Registered
252 Posts
strathconaman said:
I am racing Master Sport in the OCup XC races, but do most of my riding on road. I was thinking of riding the KW Classic in June, but looking at the M3/S4 results from last year, the lead group averaged 39km/h!!!!!

I don't want to DNF from being lapped. Am I missing something? Is the KW really fast or am I really slow?
Its a great race, wide roads and a pretty easy loop. One small climb per lap, followed by a flase flat for 1/2km. Have you done many group rides, ? not that its a good comparison but FWIW.......what speed do you average on your training rides...?

who cares if you dnf, i'm sure most do at some point.

cheers, BK

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was a OK crit rider in highschool, but that was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. I haven't been on a road group ride this year. I really need a team/club.

My FTP is 3.7 w/kg and I struggle to be competitive in the least competitive categories.

I know in a pack the pace is sometimes a little faster, but I couldn't pull off a 39km/h time trial over 20km never mind 60km.

The KW fits nicely into the hole between OCup #4 and 5 for the XC guys. Plus it would be nice to "rub shoulders" again with some roadies.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Honestly, 3.7 w/kg will probably put you on the podium if you can even half sprint. I would guess maybe 5% of the M3/S4 guys can TT @ 40 kph.

If you training rides are even close to or around 30 kph you'll be fine. It doesn't much effort to just sit in the group.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm 3.8watts/Kg and race M3. At the Niagara race several weeks ago I stayed with the lead group (about 25 riders of the 60 racing M3) for the first 3 laps. Got dropped the third time up Effingham hill (as the name suggests its "effing" hard) but managed to chase back on with 1 or two other guys (took 10kms to do it). Got dropped again 4th time up (we had just caught back on in time to climb the hill again - argh) and chased again for the entire final lap - finished 24th 2:20 down on the winner. The lead group was still in sight, but I kinda slowed up for the final km knowing I wouldn't catch back.

Long story short - you can do OK at 3.7watts/kg in the M3. You may not be at the front, but you won't be the slowest and you probably won't be alone.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.