Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contemplating between these two wheelsets. Have owned two sets of Ksyriums and never had an issue with either set. However, I really like the Reynolds Attack and the only issue seems to be a few broken spokes here and there.

Thoughts?

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
Assuming you're looking at paying the same $$ (don't know how that would happen, but...)
Reynolds hands down.
Much more aero, probably lighter, don't have to get repairs/parts in france...

2 things to consider-
* Reynolds protection program seems to be a good deal - basically a 3 year guarantee. Trashed a wheel in a cat 5 crit? Fixed. Drove into the garage with the bike on the roof rack? Fixed (wheels at least...)
* Reynolds also added the Assault this year - basically a 46mm deep version of the attack, $100 more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quick note about the Reynolds Assurance Program (I chatted with them a few weeks ago): their program only covers wheels damaged during intended use. i.e. You do not get a repair/replacement for driving into the garage with the bike on your roof. Well, unless you can spin it right... However, you do get unlimited repairs/replacements during the 3 year period.

And my vote is for the Attacks - more aero & carbon's typically better ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Attack!

I have both and much prefer the rough pavement smoothing ride of the Attacks. They are able to offer a great wheel at that price by using good private label hubs and non-bladed spokes. Braking is great with the supplied pads. Only a few rides so not sure of the durablility, but they do use relatively accessible round DT spokes. I am pretty sure of the Ksyriums (ES's) duralbility after approx. 10k for a 175lb guy riding occasional fire roads and many rough roads.
Final answer: If you are looking at carbon wheels, the Attacks are tought to beat at that price - they can be had for $800 on that auction site. For alumimum wheels I would look around. My friends have Neuvation, Easton, etc. and they seem very close to the high end Ksyriums for half the price.

·
Dr. Flats a lot
742 Posts
Ditto on the Attacks

Have used Ksyriums exclusively over the last 6-7 years and they are really stout wheels. Very reliable. But I have trashed the freehub body on all of them except the ES's and I friggin hate truing them. I always seem to have an issue with the spoke twist. Been on the Attacks for a bit over a year and am a huge fan. Even though they are the same published weight as the Ksyrium ES, they get up to speed much quicker and definately give you some serious speed when you are heading downhill. The Ksyriums are stiffer, but the Attacks have a much smoother feel, and still are plenty stiff. I did break a spoke on the rear on a finish line sprint. That was the only time I broke one. On our team we have eight sets of Reynolds wheels. My broken spoke was the only issue anyone had. Further than that, nobody has had to true their wheels yet. When you first get them the spokes are not always fully seated and you may hear some snapping on the first mile or two. The attacks are machine built uinlike the more expensive wheels. All that being said they are fantastic wheels and an amazing deal. I've just ordered a pair of Assault and am relacing the Attacks with a powertap.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Problems with Attack rear hub, me, and riding pal as well

Myself and my riding pal both got a set of Attacks earlier this year, sometime around March or so. Well, by sometime in June, both rear wheels were back to Reynolds with problems with the rear hub. Just got mine back and on the bike yesterday, after ride last night all seems good, though I was without the wheel for almost 6 weeks. I am trying to find out what was wrong, got no explanation. The wheel developed a wobble (it seemed loose, you could wobble it side to side). Not sure what is wrong with my pal's rear, something in the hub, we are guessing. It had a decided knock that occured often, sent it back (before my problem developed, Reynolds said it was due to all spokes being improperly tensioned, adjusted spokes, and returned it). Problem still there, so back it went, my friend is VERY unhappy. He is supposed to get it back any day, probably without the wheel for 2+ months. Time will tell if mine lasts, and if his has even been fixed. We are not impressed.

Both 210 pounds or so, fairly strong recreational riders, but Reynolds insists there is no weight limit with these, or any of their wheels (I believe). We ride on pretty good roads. Based on our experience, I would have a hard time recommending Attacks to anyone.

I have had 3 pairs of Ksyriums (had original black set, no issues, traded them for SSL SC set (+ cash), own SSL SC now, on other bike, and have been using ES on bike now with Attacks). ES wheels did develop cracks around 2 spokes last year, Mavic warranteed (fixed the first time), however I did a MS 150 ride on horrible roads, won't do that again. Broke 2 spokes (ES, and SSL) in maybe 12,000+ miles on those 3 sets combined.

I hope the Attacks turn out to be good wheels, but to me, the Mavics are unquestionably more durable, longer lasting, wheels. Attacks seem faster, when I can ride on them.

Doug

·
Registered
713 Posts
gh1 said:
I demo'ed some ksyrium's this weekend and I for one wont ever be buying a pair. I have no experience with the reynolds but would choose those just based on my test ride.
What was the issue with your test ride, and what wheels are you coming from prior?
I've owned Ksyrium SL's, ES's, Carbones, Zipp 404's, Easton Tempest II Carbons, handbuilts, etc.
I currently ride on ES's most of the time, and they seem to perform great. I'm not sure why so many people bash Mavic..

·
Registered
339 Posts
I too wonder what you found so bad about Ksyriums

I have both the wheels you are looking at. Kysriums have 6000 or so miles, broke one spoke, and although rear rim got a couple small cracks, Mavic warranteed, wheels have 3000-4000 miles since. Ride nice, hardly ever need to be trued. My Reynolds Attacks, about 1000 miles or so, rear back to Reynolds, complete replacement due to bent axle. Got it back, went drastically out of true, bike shop couldn't get it to dish, so both back to Reynolds, they are replacing with new set. Friend also has both sets (he has less miles on his Attacks than I did), his Ksyriums have been no prob at all, rear Attack back to Reynolds twice with hub problems, more problems, so they are replacing his set as well, sent back for the 3rd time (we are both currently waiting for our replacements). I have had 3 sets of Ksyriums, still have 2, probably 12,000 miles on 3 sets, 2 broken spokes, and one rim replacement under warranty, all of these incidents were a few thousand miles ago, at least. Reynolds can't seem to get either my or my friend's wheels fixed. I don't see why people bash Mavic either, they have been WAY BETTER wheels for both me and my friend than the Reynolds -- doesn't matter how good the Reynolds ride, if you can't ride them cause they are continually back for repair / replacement.

Doug

gh1 said:
I demo'ed some ksyrium's this weekend and I for one wont ever be buying a pair. I have no experience with the reynolds but would choose those just based on my test ride.

·
Registered
889 Posts
gibson00 said:
What was the issue with your test ride, and what wheels are you coming from prior?
I've owned Ksyrium SL's, ES's, Carbones, Zipp 404's, Easton Tempest II Carbons, handbuilts, etc.
I currently ride on ES's most of the time, and they seem to perform great. I'm not sure why so many people bash Mavic..
Compared to my eastons, the ksyrium's felt heavy and were brutally harsh on rough roads. I live in Colorado so light is more important to me than aero since i dont race. I could definitely see the aero advantages in them but it wasnt enough to outweigh the disadvantages in my mind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.