Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well only a blizzard if sun rays count. I've been admiring the commute photos here for a long time, and finally decided to grab the trusty old SLR and snap a few shots last week.

Rolling out after sunrise. Sleepy Burbank taking its time waking up.

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I discovered the Burbank float for the Tournament of Roses Parade, held in nearby Pasadena. Ok - maybe these photos were from 2 weeks ago...

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next thing to catch me eye is Franks, the local coffee shop and a great sign.

Following that we cross the LA River and leave Riverside drive for the LA River bike path.

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next comes a view across the river towards Dreamworks studios and the Verdugo mountains in the background.

Some of my favorite urban graffitti near the water treatment plant.

And a couple walkers on the path. Normally I see a few bike commuters but today I got a late start and missed the crowd.

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here we catch a quick glance at the river cats. They're locally famous, and my wife has a book that talks about the artist, but darned if I can find it at the moment. Anyway, he's been painting them for decades.

A couple shots of the Baum Bicycle Bridge, near Griffith Park.

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Caught a couple native river residents on film. Can you see the guy on the island? He's wearing a light colored cap and standing in the tall grass. One of scores who live on the grassy islands (except when it rains and the river swells).

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well we finally exit the river path and pass by the bakery. Gosh it smells good in the morning.

Always liked the murals here at the Escuela Allessandro.

And a quick glance at the tiny ramps where two interstates squeeze around a hill and funnel into downtown Los Angeles. Once or twice a week I'm sitting in that line of cars, so it's always fun to look over at the other side...

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm always inspired by northcoast's photos of LA murals, so here are a couple more. Dunno what the story is behind the polar bears and penguins. Anyone?

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Thanks for posting!

I always love seeing things I recognize. Post more.

Considering the wind we've had near the beach, it really has seen like a blizzard (minus the freezing temperatures and snow, of course).

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
ispoke said:
Time well spent!
Indeed ...

I'm always surprised how much trouble the taggers must go through to reach the stupidest places ... like freeway overpasses, tall street signs, etc.

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and finally...

Are you still reading? Here's a final two for ya. Just some signage as I cruise into Chinatown. I ran out of film here, so that's about it for now. It was a great commute, and I was only an hour late after stopping for all the photos. Time well spent!

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Must be a wet winter.

ispoke said:
Next thing to catch me eye is Franks, the local coffee shop and a great sign.

Following that we cross the LA River and leave Riverside drive for the LA River bike path.
There is actually water in the river. :D

When I moved east from Orange County DC was in the middle of a record drought. I thought everyone was crazy, there was water in the river, the trees were green and nothing was on fire.

Different places, different standards.....

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
With the wind we're getting in the north Valley, the "blizzard" consists of the few leaves that remained on the trees, plus palm fronds, fast food wrappers, shingles and just about anything else that's not nailed down. We were getting gusts up to 70 mph overnight...couldn't believe I still had a roof this morning.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Dudes live on the river?!? WTF?

ispoke said:
Caught a couple native river residents on film. Can you see the guy on the island? He's wearing a light colored cap and standing in the tall grass. One of scores who live on the grassy islands (except when it rains and the river swells).
OK, I'll admit I'm new to LA and all, but that is crazy! Crazy, I tell you! This city is a trip...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Actually, it's been much drier than normal, especially galling compared to the drenching we got last year. The water in those photos must be all the runoff from people's sprinklers....

·
Hill repeats, meh
145 Posts
It almost makes me miss LA.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Really great report with excellent photos! I seldom get to see that area; your photos put me there.

I have some friends that ride the LA River Bike Path that far north and say that it's a little scetchy sometimes (eg.- groups of seedy dudes hanging out on the path). Is that true?

Thanks,

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
neighbors

northcoast said:
...I have some friends that ride the LA River Bike Path that far north and say that it's a little scetchy sometimes (eg.- groups of seedy dudes hanging out on the path). Is that true? Thanks,
SoCal is a haven for seedy dudes! But seriously, this is my third year on the LA River path and I normally only see one or two seedy individuals, and they're usually standing in the grass kind of looking off into the distance. Heck, there's one guy who sleeps under a tarp near the Los Feliz junction and I swear his bike could be a Rivendell. '80s steel lugged frame, way too large, upright swan handlebars and a springy old leather seat.

Anyway, the only time I see "groups" of dudes is after a big rain storm when they're flushed off their islands and hanging belongings on the railing to dry. Although we live in different worlds, I feel a sense of community. Maybe 'cause I like camping...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I ride along the river fairly often, and I'm more concerned about the "seedy" gangbangers down in Frogtown (roughly the area bordered by the river, Fletcher and Riverside Drives); there are a couple of places alongside the path where people are camped (the spot near Los Feliz, another one midway between Los Feliz and Glendale Bl and one guy I've seen the last three or four months camped out in the open at Glendale Bl, not even trying to take advantage of whatever cover the freeway plantings provide). ...and then there are some of the locals in Highland Park, which I pass through on the way to/from Pasadena, as a part of the ride along the river. ...and even worse are the clowns one encounters along Riverside Dr. when the Dodgers have a home game--they might be the "sketchiest" ones of all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts