Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With school out and my brides work schedule lax, the girls decided to take a trip to Texas, just the two of them, they left me home to pay the mortgage and find some means of entertaining myself on Father’s Day weekend. I decided to ride my bike along the Mississippi for a ways.

· Registered
381 Posts
Great looking ride Scot! And what a couple of great days this past Saturday and Sunday were up here in Minnesota and Wisconsin! Absolutely beautiful riding weather! Almost as good as it gets!

BTW, how many miles did you put in over your 2 day ride? It looks like a route I might like to try sometime.

Later,

Jay B.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Treker said:
Great looking ride Scot! And what a couple of great days this past Saturday and Sunday were up here in Minnesota and Wisconsin! Absolutely beautiful riding weather! Almost as good as it gets!

BTW, how many miles did you put in over your 2 day ride? It looks like a route I might like to try sometime.

Later,

Jay B.
It's a century, one way, but lots of options to make it a shorter distance.

· your text here
13,203 Posts
the purple flowers in the foreground of the burial mound picture look like they are trying to spell something.

maybe one day a bike tour of all the lock and dams is in order... surprised the river didnt look very high. must be because you are so far north.

· The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Nice ride. Did you ride the dirt road/path/tire tracks as well?

How do you like your Garmin? Does it map as well?

And, yes, I can see a lock and dam tour, and another of effigy mounds in the region.

I need to do a Mississippi river ride some day.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
weltyed said:
the purple flowers in the foreground of the burial mound picture look like they are trying to spell something.

maybe one day a bike tour of all the lock and dams is in order... surprised the river didnt look very high. must be because you are so far north.
The worst of the rains and flooding start at LaCrosse southward, so I was never in the in an area where damage has occurred. However, the floodplain and river were very high. Many of the wetland shots I'm showing look more like grassland than lakes much of the the time. I bet I "crossed" the Chippewa River for 5 miles it had spread so far into it's alluvial (sp?) plain. I had to ride through about 4 inches of water over the road near Trempeleau (not the main road, a service road in the nature preserve).

Mississppi Locks, that would be an interesting photo tag game game. Post a picture of the locks in order, source to delta. I can get #0 (did you know they built #1 and then put one upstream after that) and #1 on the commute home. #3 would be a nice weekend ride. After that, they get out of easy bike reach, but I may have them in the can already from this trip.

Scot

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
treebound said:
Nice ride. Did you ride the dirt road/path/tire tracks as well?
I used the Great River Trail. It runs along the Mississippi north/south from LaCrosse for about 22 miles. In the most northern section it's part of Fish and Wildlife's Trempeleau Preserve which is that double track section I have pictured.

treebound said:
How do you like your Garmin? Does it map as well?
It's a ForeRunner 201. It's a low end unit designed mostly with joggers in mind. It dosn't map at all. I use the Surly mostly for commuting and I've never purchased a bike computer for it so I brought the ForeRunner to keep track of distance and speed and used none of the GPS features. You may have seen my navigation aid clipped to my handle bars :)

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Beautiful pics. I've always wanted to explore the Mississippi but have never been in that neck of the woods.

· Registered
26 Posts
Wow.

Looks like a fantastic ride. Beautiful pictures (as always, Scot). Nice bike too. I've been considering a LHT and I have a few questions for you but I'll just PM you rather than hijacking your thread.

Nide ride report. Keep 'em coming!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.